Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into replacing the whole wire harness on a '68 elco but all the universal ones i find are for NON-GM ignition switch (Speedmaster PCE368.1002: 22-Circuit Wiring Harness Kit Universal | JEGS).
Does anybody know a place that sells them with a gm ign switch so i can still use the one I have on the vehicle thats on the dash and not on a steering column? Or what i would have to Macgyver with this harness to make it work?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi,
It appears the harness you linked is designed for a GM-keyed column. Third pic down shows column connectors. Depin those connectors, as well as the original, transfer over. The review states the wiring is labeled, it may even use GM color coding....the colors should match.
Mark

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
You are going to splice the harness into the switch no matter what you do. Now you can buy a new plug(on the backside of the switch) for your oem switch and that will maintain the oem look and switch itself while letting you splice into that plug.

Or if you have something rare you can yank the blades from the old plug and install new blades splicing the harness right to those blades to update the plug and have the wiring look clean while maintaining that factory switch.

If you have something like a Chevelle then that new plug is just a few keys away. If you need to rebuild it. It is a bit more work. But you know it is done right. Or you can just use weatherproof female blades and get rid of the plug all together going naked on the back of the switch.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,324 Posts
most aftermarket harnesses are gm color coded, it's the ford and mopar guys that usually have to adapt
painless and ezwire are the best bang for the buck, my 58 has the ezwire

1 - 6 of 6 Posts