Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im new at building sbc's. i have a 68 chevy c10 with a 74 corvette 350 in it. i putting together a parts wish list and i am a little confused about roller rockers and cams. solid flat tappet. and so forth. all i really want to know is which cam will work in my block. can i get solid, flat tappet, roller. thanks in advance for any help on this situation. im just trying to build a mild engine. i like the rough idle sound.

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
The simple answer to your question is yes! you can put any of those in your block. However, you need to do some basic thinking first about what use you want for your engine. Roller cams are top of the line in function range-ability and unfortunately, cost. Unless you just want bragging rights (and by looking at my car in my avatar, you can tell those are high on my list!), or are wanting to turn out some really serious HP over 5000rpm, stay away from the rollers. If you car will be a street/strip car or just a Sonic Drive-In cruiser, stick with a good hydraulic cam and lifters. They can turn out very impressive performance numbers and are much cheaper and easier to run. Get a Jegs and Summit catalog and study them. Oh, and do searches on this board 'cause there is a BUNCH of serious info on cams here.

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
cam choice

All you want is a hydraulic cam and lifters. Solid lifters need to be adjusted periodically. Roller cams are very expensive and used on very hot motors.

I'm going to get thrashed for this one but its my opinion. Roller rockers are fine used with extreme cams like rollers where the valve train geometry changes. It causes the stock rocker to rub back and forth on the valve stem causing stress and wear.

A stock rocker doesn't move around on the valve stem with a low or moderate cam. That's why I see no use for them on a street motor. I wouldn't waste my money.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I think roller rockers are supposed to cause less stress and wear because they will roll along the stem instead of pushing the valve stem forward and back as it opens and closes.

I say run true rollers whenever possible. There is a reason why they were created and why stamped rockers are more of a thing of the past.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Anything that isn't in a totally fixed position is going to be prone to side to side movement in the course of its up and down or back and forth movement. Even on a lower lift cam you will still have slight movement. Over time this can wear things down. Not to say that a roller tip is a total cure however it does help.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
hotrod 68, ziggy,

hotrod 68,
Whatever you choose to build, make sure all the valve train components are a compatible/proven combo of all the parts(cam/lifters/push rods/rockers/springs/etc). Your asking for trouble by not using all the parts required.

ziggy,
Your right about the push rod movement over the face of a stamped steel rocker as the lifter angle changes.....
it's a "scuffing" movement between the front and rear of the lifter and wears an arc in the rocker.
A roller tip is the fix for longer life but unless you buy good $$$ rollers the roller tip bearing wears out....

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Side to side movement may go away with guides but there is no way to eliminate the rubbing motion as the rocker changes it's position and angle with the valve tip when it rocks. This is a very large displacement sliding action which is eliminated with use of roller tip rockers.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
final answer?

easiest, best bang for the buck, pick the HP and torque you want and order a long block or crate motor...

I groan when I see what a 350/300hp complete goes for....

"ain't no deals" on blue oval motors like there is on 350's

save time, money and get a warrentee....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.