Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well where do I start, I am new to hot rodding....have loved the old rods since I was young...Life is allowing me to finally tackle one for myself...I am a Machinist so that should help...I have been researching as much as I can and have been amazed by the caliber of stuff out there...I have a question in regards to preference. Is it better to use a donor car for a hotrod that is newer with fuel injection etc. or piece it together with older parts such as carburated V8's and 12 bolt rear ends etc. I would really like to have some input on this. I welcome all answers...and look forward to the input..Thanks and happy Rodding

Pete

·
Home Built Rods No Rules
750 Posts
Welcome,alot of info on here,and people willing to help.As far as donor cars old vs new its probably personal choice. Also budget,experience. Personally I like things plain and simple, (carb,HEI, no computer)just feel better if I'm out with a street rod and have problems out in the middle of no where feel better chance getting fixed be on my way. :welcome:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Zonk hit the nail on the head. The KISS (keep it simple stupid) method does apply to street rodding. If you're the type of guy that likes to do most or all of his own work then the "old school" route may be your ticket. If not and you want the convenience of EFI and computer operated everything then a crate engine or late model donor might be the way to go.

It is pretty much an individual choice and each has it's strengths and drawbacks. In general, at least for me the KISS method is the winner. If I break down on the road somewhere, having the ability to fix it myself without having to resort to $100,000 worth of electronic diagnostic equipment really appeals to my sense of order in the universe. :p

Centerline

1 - 3 of 3 Posts