Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone! I found this board while doing a search on Google about Candy paint and since reading I thought maybe you all could help me out.

Back in the end of November I had my 2000 Firebird Formula painted with flames. I'd seen the painter's work on other cars and he was recommened by several people. I knew I wanted orange, magenta and purple as the colors of my flames with a bright orange outline. I'd seen HOK's Tangerine and like that alot and told him so. I only said I liked the color....not that it had to be exactly that. I dont know anything about the various paints such as candy either. My car is a daily driver and the painter knew that. He showed me HOK's color chart to pick out the magenta and purple I wanted and never mentioned anything about the type of paint he was going to use.

Not till AFTER he finished the flames did he say that I'm going to be sorry I went with Candies because they were impossible to touch up if I got a chip! I at that point said I would've never had it done with that paint because I know full well that I would have chips since it's a daily driver.

Anyway I got laid off and my car basically sat from Christmas till March. But then I got a chip in the hood about 1/4". I thought it was from improper painting and took it back to him but he insisted it was a rock that hit it. He told me that he couldnt fix it without having to do the flames all over again and then explained how the candies are and how they cant be touched up. He did something though so he didnt have to tape it all off and laid some of the purple over the area so it only cost me $400 instead of $1500 for all the flames to be redone

I know have some cracking along with the aftermarket front air dam is and then accidently hit a curb and caused some damage there. After some discussions I've decided my best route to go is have the flames all redone but this time in non candy paint. At this rate I'll end up spending $1500 in a year and it will look like a calico cat :( What I would like to know is what other paints would give the depth like the candies and is it true that I should be able to get basically the same colors as what's on the car now?

Here's some pics of my car and you can also find them here on my website <a href="http://www.dpics.us/MLB" target="_blank">http://www.dpics.us/MLB</a> There are photos of the painting process here <a href="http://sklilly.phpwebhosting.com/MLB/photos2/My2000II.html" target="_blank">http://sklilly.phpwebhosting.com/MLB/photos2/My2000II.html</a>

BTW my boyfriend are photographers focusing mainly on cars...and mainly on the hotrods and here's some of our pics <a href="http://www.dpics.us" target="_blank">www.dpics.us</a>

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
I can only say one thing, if you wanted a daily driver then why paint it like a showcar? It's not the painters fault only your expectations. Candies have a unique visual effect and honestly so do all the other customs paints out there, touching up chips is almost impossible on even the regular paints.

You can't have your cake and eat it too? Get a beater for your daily driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had another car that had flames also and it was a daily driver. I'm not saying I dont expect to not get chips what Im saying is with the candies it was that's very hard to impossible to get it to look right. I was just asking opinions on what other paints were either good or bad. I still say the painter should've told me as much info about the candy paint as he could. My expectations has nothing to do with my concern and problem with the paint...just the fact that it was done with candies.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Pewter, sweet bird.

To answer your question yes, any color can be mixed in any medium. The colors you chose and the style of the paint job can be easily replicated in a different medium.

Like 4 Jaw said, each medium of paint has its own personal and distinct look and quality. Candies are very difficult to color match as you've found out. Candies are basically a clear with added color pigments. This is what gives it its depth and also the ability to make unlimited effects with it. Its so hard to color match because the color depends on how it was reduced, sprayed, type of gun it was sprayed with and of course what base color and how many coats of the candy was applied.

Now after exsplaining a little about candies on to your next question. Yes, duplicating your paint job would be reletivly simple. A flame pattern is pretty basic and the colors you have chosen are just basic color with no added effects. House of Kolor not only makes pure Kandies, but they also make a Kandy base coat. This will give you the best reproduction of the color and effect without the hassle of a difficult color matching. Its pretty simple to touch up, in fact you could probably do it at home yourself with a little guidance from myself or other painter. The Kandy base coat like I said will give you the best reproduction of the Kandy you have now, but there are also other options.

House of Kolor also offers, as well as other top paint producers, Urethane and polyurethane Kandies, Kandy base coat, and regular base coat clear coat colors in the same colors you picked originally. Urethanes are the strongest paints produced and stand up well to daily driving. It can be repainted the exact color scheme you have chosen with ease of touchups that you could do yourself. Any shop or painter can do this with ease. If you have anymore questions feel free to e-mail or PM me.

HK

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Nice ride!!!!! It can be touched up as long as it is into on of the colors instead of into the fade. The painter knows the mix ratio and the gun used so he should be able to fix it. As far as exactly matching he should be 99% close so on the flames a slight mismatch should not matter.

Kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the replies. I just wished I'd found this board before I had the work done. I would love to get the same colors again but there is only one thing I dont like about the flames and that's the fact that the purple looks black unless it's in the sun and that's due to the fact its candy?? Am I correct?

I flamed the inside myself with a airbrush I bought and although its not nearly as nice as what he did I like it alot and am pretty please with how it turned out so I feel confident that I could do touch up on my next flames that the painter does. Thanks for the compliments also on my car.

Hk..sending you an email.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
Most multi -color jobs have a similar problem, it's just one of those "compromise" made when doing a custom paint job for a daily driver. As more ( and worse) drivers get on the road it becomes worse yearly. I remember at a Car Craft Street machine Nats in about '78 a guy had a beautiful freshly custom painted GT500KR with I think he said had 13 hues and the first night there somebody ( a local gawker) nailed the front breaking the 'glass nose and creating a hell of a re-paint. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet (ugh), nice Firebird, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts