Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello, im having some problems with some new toys that have come out.

1. my nephews have these tops( www.levitron.com ) that hover on top on a dounut shaped magnetic base. unpowered levitation that has force to do work. lift with no fuel or real mechanism ? you have to wieght it down with washers to keep from shooting up! if are you amazed, ill tell you more.

2. again my nephews pool toy. a balanced foam backwards guitar pick with wings. you hold it underwater, it tries to float up but cant, so it glides forward endlessly instead. can you imagine loading a large scale model with a payload!! i cant explain it better. here,
http://www.hydrofin.us/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcYFrhn6Gq8&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljwsPhMG_wk&mode=related&search=

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thats pretty neat. I can't see the videos for the hydrofin thing while im at work.

But the levitop thing is neat. I thought i had it figured out..but now Im stumped as is my boss. Im determined to figure it out though.

But if you watch the guys left hand in the video it looks like he presses a button or something?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
no batteries or power. it spins/ hovers an unusual lenghth of time say 5-10 min from a simple 40 rpm twist. almost no friction against it. a a/c powered base can be purchased which pulses a north to south current accross the top to keep it spinning in air forever.

i played with the top for hours. the top is a neodium magnet and hovers in the center divot in the dounuts magnetic feild. repelling forces keep it "boyant" in the divot. awesome fun. i loved both of these toys, the kids liked them as much as the video games which is surpprising. you have to balance it for temperature , pressure , and altitude. adult setup is required.

those arent my nephews in the video's just a demo. the waterwing is absoluley mind blowing. the wings follow the path of least water resistance so they can flap like a big slow fish. the trick is to keep ithe pumpkinseed level. then it will stay underwater. it will keep going forward with no push to go. until it hits something , stops, and goes to the surface.

none of these things are really powered!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a glider has to be thrown or accelerated to go. this device leaves your hands and thrusts forward. just hold it to a depth under water and remove your hands. the deeper the faster it seemed to go. it does not really plane upwards to the surface either.

i wonder what our children will do with these kinds of technologies.

·
MOPAR Guy
186 Posts
spinn said:
a glider has to be thrown or accelerated to go. this device leaves your hands and thrusts forward. just hold it to a depth under water and remove your hands. the deeper the faster it seemed to go. it does not really plane upwards to the surface either.
One of the reasons the why HydroFin doesn't need to be thrown is that water is non-compressible. (relatively) Due to the wing's low aspect ratio (the ratio of the span to the width of the wing) it is almost impossible for the wing to stall under normal use, thus the glider is propelled through the water by the "incline plane" principal. This is actually an emerging technology in underwater exploration and mapping. Those gliders are autonomous; they're sunk to the bottom with a weight, the weight is then released and the glider glides slowly to the surface. Along the way it records the data it's operators are looking for. (hopefully) Upon returning to the surface it starts a radio beacon so it can be found again.

The long and short of it all: Your right, it's really cool stuff. :thumbup:

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
Both toys are pretty cool. We played with the levitron in the electronics lab for quite a while. The gyroscopic effect of the spinning top is what gives is enough stability to stay in the magnetic field and thus levitated. We actually had ideas to build a large scale version, but making the electromagnets for the base (instead of the small permanet magnets) proved to be a bit out of our range power wise.

The Hydrofin works exactly like a glider-Sir Joab has it down. Hang gliders jump straight down from cliffs, fall for a few feet and then glide for miles. An easy way to think of it is instead of falling and flying, this little bugger is rising up and flying. A glider is trying to get to the ground and the air is impeding it, the hydrofin is trying to get to the surface and the water is impeding. Both turn this impeding into a useful means to control falling/floating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bad Rat said:
Wonder if the macic man Chris Angel gets his levitation powers this way,, he does some real neat tricks,, some pretty wierd,, :thumbup:
I saw a video online somewhere that showed how he did his levitation act.
He has a pair of special pants that the shoe is attached to. The front of the pants open so he can take his leg out and raise himself onto something. The whole time the shoe stays in place next to the other shoe with magnets.

It was pretty neat to watch. Can't remember where I saw it though. :confused:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
chris who ? no response for that. no, i dont believe in aliens either. at least not until i see one, and sex drive the mothership.

another amazing kids toy, this one's powered...have you seen the little r/c dragon flies at radio shack?

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Toy makers are using this kind of free energy & the auto makers & power companies cant use it or harness it?..bulls---t
There is no such thing as free energy. This is basic physics at work. There really isn't any way for this to be used in generating power or in the automotive field. Unless you want your car to spin real fast and hover in place. :D

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
The spinning top is actually the armature of a motor. By spinning it, you start the rotation and the natural attraction/repulsion of the magnetic fields in both parts allows the top to continue spinning. The levitation is partly due to the like poles repelling and forcing the top away from the base. With no load, the energy to rotate is minimal and it will seemingly run for ever. I would imaging this thing makes a micro horse power or two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.