Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Haven’t been on here for awhile. Got the Elco running pretty tight so looks like I’m on to a new project.
I was fortunate enough to pick up a 63 nova SS. She’s basically all original with some bumps and bruises. Has the stock power glide and I’d believe a 194 i6 is what the SS had that year.
My plan of attack is to see about getting the original motor running for now. Get all the suspension, mechanical and electrical worked out then straight to body shop.
My question to everyone, will the car be worth more rebuilding the original i6, or should I do what my heart wants which is to drop a small block in this thing? Thoughts?

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
unless the other side has been broadsided and totaled, that's a pretty sweet looking chevy II. i've owned two 63 chevy II moredoors. both were for the wife and kids, so i added seatbelts and that was pretty much it. i kept the 194 in both, but it was an around town cruiser only.
imo... do what you want with it if your going to keep it. keep it stock if your going to sell it. it's probably worth more as a true SS with the I6 in it. you could always add a turbo to the I6 :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think more restoration if keeping the 6. They have good value but they also bring good money even when not original. If your desire is a small block and you got one hanging around they practically fall into those cars. Getting the front suspension and steering sorted is the real trick lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unless the other side has been broadsided and totaled, that's a pretty sweet looking chevy II. i've owned two 63 chevy II moredoors. both were for the wife and kids, so i added seatbelts and that was pretty much it. i kept the 194 in both, but it was an around town cruiser only.
imo... do what you want with it if your going to keep it. keep it stock if your going to sell it. it's probably worth more as a true SS with the I6 in it. you could always add a turbo to the I6 :ROFLMAO:
haha. Turbo would be kinda cool. But I’m thinking of keeping it just a cruiser and going with the stock look and eventually a rebuild on the of motor.
Found out a bit more about the car which has never been touched after original owner. Everything is numbers matching and original except for the wheels. It may also be a five option car which is supposedly kinda rare in my research. Either way, I’m loving this thing!!!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
First order of business, get her running, get her stopping and get her some new shoes!!!

I would not waste time and money on 6 cylinder w/glide and old brakes/lines/ hoses and what ever else is total junk. Busted windshield is also inhibitor to driving it. The junk tires on it are good enough to “roller” around the garage. Brakes, spindles, tubs, and track will have factor in new shoes so no sense getting them now.

Just bring it in the garage get started making changes and work that makes sense. Write out a plan of attack and cost and time estimate your list. Factor in the stuff you want to farm out and stuff you will do yourself. Us guys here do not mind read what’s in your head. It is easy for others to spend your money and time.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
dang! amazing what a little spit and polish will do 👍
my 58 grill looked worse than your ss rear bumper
i polished it once 10 years ago and it hasn't gone back to rusty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.