Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Wouldn't the nitrogen just gas off and evaporate instead of staying trapped in the fuel? The best additive that has ever been in fuel(on the road, not Nitromethane fortified race gas :evil: ) in my opinion was TEL.
Shane

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Chevrolet4x4s said:
Wouldn't the nitrogen just gas off and evaporate instead of staying trapped in the fuel? The best additive that has ever been in fuel(on the road, not Nitromethane fortified race gas :evil: ) in my opinion was TEL.
Shane
Yep good ole tetra ethyl lead. The DuPont site I retired from dismantled their TEL unit probably 20 years ago. Great stuff for engines, but the EPA hated it.

Vince

·
Just stuck
435 Posts
302 Z28 said:
Yep good ole tetra ethyl lead. The DuPont site I retired from dismantled their TEL unit probably 20 years ago. Great stuff for engines, but the EPA hated it.

Vince
Yeah, it worked well but at a cost. It was noted as far back as the late 40's that lead was being emitted at a rapid rate. The EPA wasn't formed until 1970 and by then, high levels of lead were being found all along the nations highways and even higher levels were being found in all the major cities. I'd be curious to see what might be found at race tracks etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a green freak but I would like to be able to live without being poisoned and after working in a refinery for 26 years, I'm sure I've had my share. Btw, my father in law worked at Ethyl for nearly 35 years and saw first hand what working in the TEL unit did to people before OHSA came along....

As for the Shell fuel....in the past, I've had cars that ran better on their regular grade vs Exxon regular and it was very noticable from engine stalling when you came to a stop at a light to engine knock or ping. Does the nitrogen do anything? Here's what Shell says:

Shell claims that nitrogen-enriched molecules chemically react with carbon deposits that have collected on the valves, combustion chambers etc. These nitrogen-enriched molecules then clean the valves etc and permit maximum gasoline and air compression within the cylinder.

I've run Shell gas for years but in the past several, I'll use what's the cheapest. I know they really liked it when I came in wearing my Exxon coveralls lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.