Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Well . . . how much added hp do you want? You can buy kits that come with jets for 50-125 hp and you can set it as you want. Just do your research before you buy and install the kit. More damange is done by nitrous+ignorance than the added strain of nitrous alone.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've read that 75hp is pretty much max on an older stock motor, unless you rebuild it and get it in like new condition first, I wouldn't even add nitro. Unless of course you can afford to have it blow up.

·
Registered
864 Posts
i'd stick with a 50hp dose unless it's been rebuilt lately.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
gemini86 said:
I've read that 75hp is pretty much max on an older stock motor, unless you rebuild it and get it in like new condition first, I wouldn't even add nitro. Unless of course you can afford to have it blow up.
FYI: IT's NOT NITRO its , Nitrous Oxide or NOS/Nitrous a very large explosive differance.

A compression and leak down test should be done before thinking of using Nitrous Oxide unless you have a spare motor to put in. Spinning a old bearing is easy to do.
I would put the money in a good tune-up with some performance parts. What works for one doe's not work for another.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
nitrous

If it's a stock non-rebuilt engine i would not chance it. But for different reasons. Your engine probably is full of carbon deposits in the chamber. These deposits will become a source for hot spots on the juice witch Leeds to detonation, witch in turn will cause a burn down of a piston or a torched head gasket....

Keith

·
Registered
277 Posts
I run whit 150hp but its on 350 rebuild whit
steel crank & wiseco forged piston (420HP + 150 Nitrous)..

But i have hear that a stock engine can handle 150HP whitout problem.. But how is the condition of your motor is another thing..:)

And its on a transam 84 :)

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Yes, a new cast bottom end can handle quite a bit of abuse. But with something that old and that wore in I would be hesitant to chance it seeing as its probably his daily driver and he probably doesn't have another motor for it just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts