Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you title and register your street rods in NJ? Classic, antique, street rod or what? Any info. would be great. THANKS :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WOW, there is NO hot rodders in NJ. This must be the only place in the world that has missed this fun sport. I will be packing my rod and moving now. :smash:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey man dont pack up and go. Im in Delaware so cant speak for NJ . This April I did my altered 47 chevy pickup as an antique=no more insp ever . However i have talked to other guys who were not able too because lane inspector wrote altered on insp form. There are definate guide lines but it boils down to who you get in the lane and how they look at your ride. If NJ has a never go back again type catagory thats the one you try for . all the rest are the same. De antique tags are for parades ,shows and getting parts or repairs. I did not get the cheaper antique type ins as I wanted to be covered when ever I drive it. which is when ever i want.

·
Registered
97 Posts
racer57

NO hotrodders in N.J? Born and raised in Matawan, only 10 min. from Englishtown. Paul Blevins used to run C/M with a 57 Chevy wagon AT 10.40 sec with a small block! I registered my 66 Chevelle with antique plates.

·
just passin' thru
323 Posts
racer,
Don't feel bad. I posted almost the exact same question here a few months back, and got no responses at all...
Anyway, I will be going through the same thing with my Willys. I have a certificate of origin from the manufacturer, and thats all. If you go on the NJMVS website, there is a passing reference to "specialty vehicles". You will need to call Trenton, and they will send you a packet of information & forms that will start you on the way.
If you already have a title, and just need to register it, should be no problem. If you are like me and don't have a title, then it gets a lot more complex. I think New Jersey rivals California in the motor vehicle red tape department.
You may also want to check out the Crankshaft Coalition Wiki as advertised on this board. I posted a little more information on it there.

Hope this helps,

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve. I have only a hand written receipt, so I think we are in the same boat. If I find anything on my end I''ll let you know. Thanks again Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
racer57 said:
What did you title and register your street rods in NJ? Classic, antique, street rod or what? Any info. would be great. THANKS :thumbup:
I've registered my 52 Chevy and 29 Model A in NJ as historic and got QQ plates. what year is your car? If its 25 years old u can register it as historic. or u can register it as "street rod". give the Trenton Dmv a call. (888) 486-3339

·
USMC....0331,DAD!
58 Posts
Rumson NJ here.
I thought the only choice was as a historic type Reg. thats what I'm waiting on from trenton, historic reg info. did not know you could register as a hot rod.

as is now my 66chevelle has a regular minimal insurance type, registration.
wondering what kinds crapp I'm gonna get, wenst I try ta go thru inspection :rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
N.j

When i registered my Chevelle with QQ plates i did not have to get it inspected, but that was 10 years ago. It might have changed by now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
chevmal said:
When i registered my Chevelle with QQ plates i did not have to get it inspected, but that was 10 years ago. It might have changed by now.
nope, no inspection required. and if your car was originally manufactured without seatbelts -u dont need seatbelts, if its a 20' s car manufactured without directionals -u dont need directionals etc etc etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts