Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure there are a thousand things that could be wrong but my th350 will no shift into 3rd gear anymore. Its wierd, it used to after the rebuild but its not anymore. I cant take it back cuz its no longer underwarranty. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is the fluid level correct?
Is the fluid burnt or discolored?
What speed does the 1-2 shift occur?
If it is much later than normal you could have a defective modulator, loss of vacuum, kd cable out of adjustment.
Worn sealing rings on the stator support.
A seal or seals are defective in either the direct or reverse clutch pack.
Just to mention a few of the most common.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 1-2 shift is at 25-30, seems pretty normal but im not sure, its possible that the kd cable is out of adjustment, (my friend thinks that) but how do i adjust it?
Also, what is the correct way to hook up the vaccuum for the modulator? I have an edelbrock carb and was thinking to do it there but i also thought maybe to the manifold but where? its a performer carb and manifold(350)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
From what I have gathered on this, the TH-350 is prone to lose 3rd gear, weather it be a simple problem, or a more serious issue, all TH-350's after awhile seem to lose 3rd gear. Even the one I have has no 3rd gear after 5-6 miles of driving.

Possible thing to look at that I have heard:

Fluid overheating? The jack * that I bought my cutlass from had the coolant lines tied to the exhaust manifold.

Governor malfunction, it might be damaged, or maybe missing a spring.

Kickdown cable not correctly set, less of a problem but still could cause this

Modulator valve lose, bad, or bad vacuum line. Simple problem to fix, also check the vacuum line at the back of the manifold.

Fluid low? This caused a downshift, or neutral shift condition where you seem to go nowhere.

seals in near clutch packs bad, serious problem, no true fix except a rebuild, lucas stop slip works well for worn/old trans. Might want to try a bottle of it on your next fluid change.

Thats all that I can think of at the moment. Maybe someone will give a more sure answer, but for now those are a few things that "might" cause it. Good luck!

·
Registered
427 Posts
87442lover said:

seals in near clutch packs bad, serious problem, no true fix except a rebuild, lucas stop slip works well for worn/old trans. Might want to try a bottle of it on your next fluid change.

Thats all that I can think of at the moment. Maybe someone will give a more sure answer, but for now those are a few things that "might" cause it. Good luck!
What is a " near clutch pack "?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.