Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have searched on this and this is what i came up with. On my sbc i have a set of Mickey Thompson valve covers i got in a trade and they have no baffles. Well my valve cover breather keeps getting loaded with oil. So what i came up with is the reason for this is because of no baffles. Am i right? If so is there any way to fix this till i get new valve covers with baffles?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Valve Covers

If your engine had a PCV system used to be in the valve covers you will need to go back to that set up or get a set of covers with push in breathers. With out some type of ventilation system oil will push out thru the weakest point. Unless you could get someone to drill a exact hole in the covers and weld a splash sheild under the hole with enough room for a push in groument and breather. Remember the old SBC engines had a oil fill tube in front of the intake with a breather on top for a cap, on models without breathing valve covers.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a pcv system in the valve covers now but my breather (push in type) is getting soaked with oil.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Breathers

Okay, if the PCV system is working great and you are getting excessive oil thru the breathers. You could be getting blow-by from the rings. If it's a new engine you may not be seated yet.
Assuming this is a older engine (not fresh rebuilt) are oil returns clean in the heads? Oil pressure- are you running any real high type oil pump?
Just do it as a list: Correct, clean pcv system, clean oil drains in heads, too much oil pressure, excessive blow-by around the rings.
Did this problem exist or excessive oil leaks with original valve covers?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes pcv system works, there is suction on pcv valve when engine is running. Ok this engine is freshley rebuilt at the end of august. Im not sure how many miles because odometer doesn't work but i would say since it is drove everyday at least 20 miles i would probly have over 1000 miles on it. My oil pressure at 2500 - 3000 rpms is between 50 - 60 psi. Anything else you need to know? The old valve covers just had a pcv valve and oil fill cap ( no breather).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Valve covers

I'd say you could if the old one's have the brads holding them down. Everything you have done seems correct. But you know a lot of aftermarket valve covers that use push in breathers don't have baffle's inside them either. Is that a new breather you have?
Just wondering if it might be an old one that was saturated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i got the baffles off he old valve covers and im going to try and see if a baffle would help.
Restore60s Yes it was a new breather
Steve Karch i called my local parts store and it would be Wednesday before they have some so im going to try the baffles from another valve cover. thanks though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the baffles wouldn't work ou of the other valve covers, but my udd had a set of M/T covers that he didn't use and we looked at them and there was a plate in there that was bolted under the valve cover breather on inside of valve cove. I took it off his and put it on mine hopefully that solved the problem. Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Novaman78. I had the same problem as you. Just wondering whether bloted a plate under valve cover is working? If possible, pls reply to me at [email protected] because i might not be able to find the way back to this forum. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I knew it's 6 yrs old thread, but I just got M/T valve cover. There might be someone with the same problem provide me the solution.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Novaman78 said:
Ok i have searched on this and this is what i came up with. On my sbc i have a set of Mickey Thompson valve covers i got in a trade and they have no baffles. Well my valve cover breather keeps getting loaded with oil. So what i came up with is the reason for this is because of no baffles. Am i right? If so is there any way to fix this till i get new valve covers with baffles?
Yes!

Make a baffle from some tin can material or buy plug in breathers with a simple baffle, it usually doesn't take a lot to stop this, just something to slow the air flow and condense the oil vapor.

These race type covers are really designed to connect to a puke tank, which is then vented. You could also do this even with a PCV system. Puke tanks are sold by the hot rod shops if you want something that works and is pretty to look at; but if looks aren't a concern, a simple one can be made from about any old can and some fittings. Just run a tube from the vents to the tank and from the tank to the manifold thru a PCV valve or run to atmosphere if PCV isn't used or run to a header extractor if that's used. The catch tank is drained from time to time. You can make some sheet metal baffles to force the venting vapors to make some turns so it will drip the oil out, or fill it with stainless or brass wool to do the same thing. The baffling is placed between the inlet pipe and the outlet so the vapors can't get out without flowing over and thru something.

Bogie

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I've been fighting this "m/t valve cover baffle" thing for quite a while now. For those who don't know, the hole location cast into many of these older covers is directly above a pushrod, i.e. oil is squirting directly at the hole. this takes some fabrication of baffles to stop the oil effectivley. so far I haven't cured the problem entirely. So, good luck , if you find a solution, please post pics, I'd be happy to do the same but unfortunatley , ihave never learned how. Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts