Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1953 chevy 210 is having a stopping problem. Is there a conversion kit to upgrade the mastercylinder for a reasonable price. Or should i rebuild the original mastercylinder.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Pepi is right....tell us exactly what problems you are having and maybe we can help you with the fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When i bought the car the brakes were very soft it would stop but the pedal would hit the floor.When i checked the master cylinder it was almost empty so i filled it and it worked fine for about a month. Then the pedal started hitting the floor and the car would not stop . I noticed there was brake fluid squirting out of a hole in the filler nut it looks like it was put there from the factory. We covered the hole and tried bleeding the brakes fluid came out of the bleeders but no air came out and the pedal hits the floor still. I figure the master cylinder may be the problem i don't know!!!!! thanks for the help.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Your master cylinder is by-passing...replace it. When you do.. bench bleed the master cylinder before installing. I just checked...NAPA Auto Parts..... Brand new master cylinder part number UP17916...$194.00 or a Kit part number UP167.....$14.69. If you get the kit.. you will need to buy a brake cylinder hone that you can run on a electric drill to hone the cylinder. If your old cylinder is pitted inside...it will probably not take a kit. Hope this help ya out. Good Luck. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
Even after you replace the MC,remember its still not going to stop like a sports car........Single MC, Front drum brakes etc. Down the road, I would consider upgrading to front disks at least, dual MC, all new brake lines and hoses.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts