Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kugel 90 degree under dash mounted master cylinder with a 7" booster on my 1961 Impala with a LS1. So the car has been parked for a few months and when I went to drive it, I had no brakes. Pedal went all the way to the floor. Ok, simple bleed and we are good to go. Nope no brakes. Ok inspection time. Replaced front 2 piston calipers and pads, back brakes fine. Installed new master cylinder. Bled again and again. Hmmm, no brakes! The pedal feels pretty good when engine is not running, however, start the engine and no brakes! Pedal goes to the floor. I connected a hand held to the OBDII and vacuum is 20-22 lbs. No change when I step on the brake pedal. So what am I missing? What's wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
795 Posts
Can't believe I'm having to say this but when you press on the brake pedal the Piston inside the master brake cylinder moves ahead and is supposed to compress the fluid. That will cause the brake pedal to feel hard. If the brake pedal goes to the floor then one of two things are happening. Either you're squirting the fluid out somewhere or the Piston is not sealing on the walls of the master brake cylinder. Seems that your "new" master might be a Chinese product...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't believe I'm having to say this but when you press on the brake pedal the Piston inside the master brake cylinder moves ahead and is supposed to compress the fluid. That will cause the brake pedal to feel hard. If the brake pedal goes to the floor then one of two things are happening. Either you're squirting the fluid out somewhere or the Piston is not sealing on the walls of the master brake cylinder. Seems that your "new" master might be a Chinese product...
I definitely understand what you are saying, however when I pulled the old m/c I tested the piston by pressing a screwdriver in it, and it squirted fluid. Did the same with the new one before installing it and it had resistance (only put a little fluid in it). The problem was here with the old m/c and that's why I installed a new m/c. I realize a brake system isn't complicated, but I absolutely don't understand what is the problem.

·
True Hotrodder
1,545 Posts
You only put a little fluid in - then how did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts