Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my transmission swap, I also swapped my steel bellhousing for a 621 aluminum bellhousing. The first victim of the swap appears to be the current starter as it won't fit into the new bell. Here is the started I have.
Automotive tire Material property Gas Cosmetics Tints and shades

Camera accessory Camera lens Gadget Cameras & optics Camera

As I know precisely nothing about starters, I now have no clue what started to buy for the new bell. The starter ear on the 621 is too small for the above starter. Should I get a mini starter? Can someone recommend a starter for a 621 bell and a 350 engine with a 168 tooth flywheel?

·
More for Less Racer
20,571 Posts
Problem you are running into is the aluminum nose cone on that old 10MT style starter....the 621 bell was used with a starter having an iron nosecone, which could be made smaller and more compact and still be strong enough. The aluminum nose cone starter were only used with smaller flywheels or large flexplate and automatic transmission which has plenty of bell clearance.
You could source a stock replacement for any late 1960's-mid-70's car with Muncie or Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission and 11" clutch/14" x 168 tooth flywheel application, be it 327, 350, 396/402, 427 or 454" engines.....but it will still be that big old bulky motored thing.

Starter BUICK, CHEVROLET CAMARO MONTE CARLO, GMC, 350 400 454 with Manual Trans | DBE (dbelectrical.com)

How about a factory modern PMGR starter, like used from 1994-ish and up. PMGR is Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction. AC Delco PG260 style factory mini starter.
Conversion / starter swap info
6-RemyTechnicalBulletin_Feb2016_web.pdf

Chevy 305 350 454 Mini Racing PMGR Starter HT SDR0031-L -with 2 Long Bolts | DBE (dbelectrical.com)

Most any of the dual bolt pattern aftermarket race mini starters could also be used.

Starter -Chevy 305, 454, Mini Super, High Torque, 3 HP Light weight; SHI0032 | DBE (dbelectrical.com)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Contact Summit Racing and talk to a technician and get the correct powermaster mini starter. It will not have a nose to deal with. You need to mount it so you have the correct clearance.
Hat Font Line Circle Rectangle

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem you are running into is the aluminum nose cone on that old 10MT style starter....the 621 bell was used with a starter having an iron nosecone, which could be made smaller and more compact and still be strong enough. The aluminum nose cone starter were only used with smaller flywheels or large flexplate and automatic transmission which has plenty of bell clearance.
You could source a stock replacement for any late 1960's-mid-70's car with Muncie or Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission and 11" clutch/14" x 168 tooth flywheel application, be it 327, 350, 396/402, 427 or 454" engines.....but it will still be that big old bulky motored thing.

Starter BUICK, CHEVROLET CAMARO MONTE CARLO, GMC, 350 400 454 with Manual Trans | DBE (dbelectrical.com)

How about a factory modern PMGR starter, like used from 1994-ish and up. PMGR is Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction. AC Delco PG260 style factory mini starter.
Conversion / starter swap info
6-RemyTechnicalBulletin_Feb2016_web.pdf

Chevy 305 350 454 Mini Racing PMGR Starter HT SDR0031-L -with 2 Long Bolts | DBE (dbelectrical.com)

Most any of the dual bolt pattern aftermarket race mini starters could also be used.

Starter -Chevy 305, 454, Mini Super, High Torque, 3 HP Light weight; SHI0032 | DBE (dbelectrical.com)
Oh wow that's really informative. Why on earth does this Chevy 305 350 454 Mini Racing PMGR say that it is for "Marine Applications"? And all the parts codes it replaces appear to be boat engines. I mean the title says "305 350 454 etc", but in the same breath it also says it is for boats?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts