Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help. New forum member. Just finished a rebuild on a 350 Chevy. Stock block bored .040, vortec heads, etc. Tried to fire her last night and no go. One backfire from exhaust, small fuel spitting from carb. Thought I had the distributor in 180 degrees off. Moved the wires around many times and got no better results. Engine was torn down completely and I installed the cam straight up. I rechecked for top dead center on number one cylinder and stuck my thumb over the spark plug hole and turned the engine. No compression! I didn't check any other cylinders, but the engine just didn't sound right when turning over. Like there was no drag on the starter and it spun too freely. I am not the world's most experienced mechaninc and my thought is I have the valves adjusted too tight so they are not closing on any cylinder! Installed the cam with the dot on the crank sprocket pointing north and the dot on the cam sprocket pointing south. Should this not have given me TDC on #1 piston? Could I have the cam in 180 degrees off? Before I start redoing everything, any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,487 Posts
1st ...do a compression test. From what you said, you have to have compression.

2nd...With the cam installed the way you said, you would be firing on #6 cylinder.

Did you put oil on the cylinder walls, this will help give compression on start up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
if you hadn't primed the oiling system before you adjusted your rocker arms, it's not hard to over tighten them. Quick check, back off cylinder #1's rockers and recheck compression on #1.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
killerformula said:
no compression?

Valves are staying open, youve adjusted your rockers too tight!

K
That's exactly what I am guessing. I would loosen those rockers a bunch. Better to have them too loose than too tight...at least you won't burn a valve. You can always adjust them after the engine is running (following cam break-in of course).

Get your engine back to TDC on #1, verify distributor placement, loosen rockers and retry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts