Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story:
picked up a C10 with a 350 sbc that the po had sitting for several years. The carb and distributor cap had both been removed so I’ve been working to get it running.
He had a quadra jet that I installed on the Edelbrock performer rpm intake and I went ahead and purchased a new accel distributor.
Ive been battling with getting it running right and finally have the timing and carb set so it runs.
Issue:
The engine has a strong miss so I pulled the plugs to do a compression test and to verify there isn’t slop in the timing chain.
While testing compression I noticed that on cyl #s 1 and 5 no fuel was spraying out the plug openings when I was cranking the engine. I removed the valve cover and confirmed that the push rods are moving the rockers without issue and the valves appear to be stroking.
I have low but similar compression on all cylinders (125-135) so I am ruling out a head gasket issue.

Any thoughts as to what would be causing the engine to not get fuel out 2 of the cylinders?

·
True Hotrodder
1,141 Posts
I would pop that carb back off and take a piece of welding wire or clothes hanger to those intake runners and verify that there is nothing obstructing them. If you find something a shop vacuum would be helpful in removing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say the intake was open ? Mice love to nest inside the runners , wasps build nests in them .
Yes, it was open. He had it plugged up with shop towels and it looked spotless inside but it’s worth looking into. I picked up a cheap inspection camera and will take a look just to be safe.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would pop that carb back off and take a piece of welding wire or clothes hanger to those intake runners and verify that there is nothing obstructing them. If you find something a shop vacuum would be helpful in removing it.
You guys are probably on to something here, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a mouse nest in number 7 runner once, pulled the spark plug later and got scared it was coolant, then I realized it was just mouse made lemon aid. Now I always use tape or a hard cover, no more rags to plug holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts