Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, folks. Been a while~!
I have a 2000 Sierra 4 wheel disc truck that blew a brake line. My son is doing the work (he's built many rods, and I'm not physically capable) and after inspection, decided the best route to go is to remove the ABS stuff and replumb the brakes. So, he's all brand new line from the front, going to a T fitting and then to each front wheel. The rear is plumbed exactly the same way. He's bled these things repeatedly, but cannot get a pedal. He can pump it up to 1/2 pedal and it will hold, but after being released , the pedal with go to floor when applied again. He did notice a little movement and a couple of bubbles moving in the reservoir after pumping them. Bleed as he may, he cannot get any air from any line.

Okay, question time. Could this be a situation where he needs to install a residual check valve in the rear to maintain pedal? Also, could the MC have been damaged from repeatedly hitting the floor with the pedal?

I've seen many many hot rods built with plumbing exactly like this and they all work. We reused the MC and all the wheel cylinders, just replumbed it all without the ABS.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I’ve made the mistake of pushing the pedal to the floor with an old master cylinder and I think the seal was damaged when it was pushed across a ridge/build-up in the cylinder. After that I could pump it up and get enough pressure to bleed the brakes, but it would never hold pressure well in normal use.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve made the mistake of pushing the pedal to the floor with an old master cylinder and I think the seal was damaged when it was pushed across a ridge/build-up in the cylinder. After that I could pump it up and get enough pressure to bleed the brakes, but it would never hold pressure well in normal use.
That was my first thought of what had happened. By all laws, this direct set up should work because the MC is a bit higher than the calipers, although the truck has a 5"x7" drop kit. It's still a direct connection to the MC with nothing in between.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just replace master cylinder?
I have one ordered. But I am old school and don't believe in throwing parts at something hoping the symptoms disappear. I like to know what's wrong before I wrench. Since I am not up to speed on the newer stuff, I kinda thought maybe someone had run across this issue before.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have one ordered. But I am old school and don't believe in throwing parts at something hoping the symptoms disappear. I like to know what's wrong before I wrench. Since I am not up to speed on the newer stuff, I kinda thought maybe someone had run across this issue before.
That not only gets a LIKE ,it gets a hooray , congratulations , well done !! Too damn many 1-800 / credit card parts changers out there !

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That not only gets a LIKE ,it gets a hooray , congratulations , well done !! Too damn many 1-800 / credit card parts changers out there !
It's the way I was raised. It's the way I've always worked, and at age 67+ it's a policy I still live by. I've also instilled this into my middle son who is now 43 and would rather repair/rebuild something than replace it. I still rebuild starters if I can SOMETIMES find the brushes and bushings! LOL

·
Registered
658 Posts
If that was the original m/c at 21 years you got your money’s worth. Safety first and brakes play a good part of that. Starters don’t fall in the safety column.

For future events like this isolate the m/c by plugging off the output ports and work the pedal if it goes down you will know right away it’s bad m/c.

Just as conversation I have purchased more than a couple m/c‘s brand new out of the box that were NG. So bench bleed the m/c first plug ports and see if pedal as worked stays up.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that was the original m/c at 21 years you got your money’s worth. Safety first and brakes play a good part of that. Starters don’t fall in the safety column.

For future events like this isolate the m/c by plugging off the output ports and work the pedal if it goes down you will know right away it’s bad m/c.

Just as conversation I have purchased more than a couple m/c‘s brand new out of the box that were NG. So bench bleed the m/c first plug ports and see if pedal as worked stays up.
Well, this is why I'm asking questions, because if the pedal is pumped, it will firm up and hold at about 1/2 pedal. It won't sink. If the pedal is released and then reapplied, it goes to the floor.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Then you verified it’s NG. The rubber hoses can also hold and release. I just fixed my buddies car doing just that. Replaced hoses (another safety item) flushed system and all is good.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then you verified it’s NG. The rubber hoses can also hold and release. I just fixed my buddies car doing just that. Replaced hoses (another safety item) flushed system and all is good.
The strange thing is that it's acting exactly the way the old drum brakes acted when they needed adjustment. Pump them a few times and get a good pedal. Release it and hit it again and have no brakes. That's why I was wondering if the rear discs may need a residual valve to maintain pressure and pedal.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will any other MC (NON-ABS W/booster) bolt onto this truck? Or, is there even a difference? Geeeeez I hate learning new things at my age!! LOL

·
Registered
5,991 Posts

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not wanting to assault your old eyeballs but here’ some info on using a newer m/c.
An extensive thread but good info.

Very interesting info. Thanx, much! That tells me that the MC can be used without ABS! I'll wait until I get the MC installed before I worry about the residual valve. Normally, as long as the MC is above the calipers it should be good. With the 5" x 7" drop kit, this puppy sits pretty damned low.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Keeping the brake pads close to the rotor gives best brake response. The old days of drum brakes it was most effective to maintain the shoes with a slight drag on the drums. This is the same effect keeping response and grab best. The residual valve is necessary on rear drums when fronts are disc. That made the rears movement before the front to maintain stability when braking. Drums have more “stuff” to actuate vs disc. You are younger at 67 years so keeping up with the latest stuff is never ending.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.