Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question? I have a 72 c10 with an ls motor i recently converted the rear drum brakes to disc. Got a new master cylinder and booster plus a proportioning valve. Bleed the entire brake system. Pedal is firm but as soon as the engine comes on pedal goes all the way down. Does anyone know why ? Thanks in advance.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
These were just replacement parts then? I'm a little stumped as to why the power booster would cause the brake pedal to drop like that. I have seen some issues where the proportioning valve will get caught to one side or the other and cause bleeding issues. Are you positive that you have all the air completely out of the system. A hard pedal could just be a pedal ratio issue and is helped along by the booster. Wish I had more info for you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These were just replacement parts then? I'm a little stumped as to why the power booster would cause the brake pedal to drop like that. I have seen some issues where the proportioning valve will get caught to one side or the other and cause bleeding issues. Are you positive that you have all the air completely out of the system. A hard pedal could just be a pedal ratio issue and is helped along by the booster. Wish I had more info for you.
Thank you I did see a video for that proportioning valve needing a special tool when bleeding the brakes. Is there any other way to bleed it without that tool

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Did you switch out the proportioning valve? They are different between disc/drum and disk/disk. I think you are talking about that piece that holds the valve in place? If you have a grinder, you can get a piece of brass and grind it down until you have a 1/4 long, 1/8" stem that will hold the valve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.