Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 74 chevy wont start. i ran out of gas and when i put more gas in with a jerry can, i went to start it and the starter churned over a couple of very slow times and smoke came up from the starter and the battery. Now it wont start. Ive had this happen before with an old starter and i just cleaned all the contact points on the battery and it was good to go. This time its not starting at all. No horn, no lights. I changed all the battery wires and made sure the contact points were good. i just bought a new starter so im hoping thats not the issue. is there anything else it could be??

·
Old(s) Fart
5,887 Posts
So my 74 chevy wont start. i ran out of gas and when i put more gas in with a jerry can, i went to start it and the starter churned over a couple of very slow times and smoke came up from the starter and the battery. Now it wont start. Ive had this happen before with an old starter and i just cleaned all the contact points on the battery and it was good to go. This time its not starting at all. No horn, no lights. I changed all the battery wires and made sure the contact points were good. i just bought a new starter so im hoping thats not the issue. is there anything else it could be??
Cables. Ground. Starter wiring. Clamps.

Did you test the battery condition using a battery load tester? Diagnosis makes more sense than buying parts that may or may not be needed.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
so many things... smoke out of the starter is a bad idea...

would you like to try something strange.. hook up a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the engine block.. this assists in getting electrons from the negative battery to the engine block and starter.

the first part of the test checks the percentage of charge in the battery

http://i.imgur.com/WMDprhm.jpg

you can perform this with just a test light.. only test 1 will have power to the light.. if you get the light on tests 2 thru 6.. this is KEY on.. headlights on.. engine not running you have narrowed your problem..

with your test light i would like you to try one more STRANGE but very easy test... ground the clip on your test iight.. touch the output terminal on the back of the alternator.. it should light up... if your chevy is wired like almost every other 74 chevy.. now probe the thick red wire into the side of the alternator. that should also have power...

what.. there are 2 or 3 fusible links down at the starter.. this will check 2 out of the three.. what. the alternator output and the sense wire are hooked up to the starter thru different fusible links..

you could have burned a fusible link. would you like to see a rough wiring diagram.. how about a model.. or pictures down by the starter solenoid..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah sure, anything helps. About the wiring though, the guy i bought the truck from rewired the whole truck himself...and did it ALL in one color, red. Every wire is red. its a pain in the ***.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have a remote starter button... so you can hook from the top post on the starter solenoid to the S terminal at 3 o clock.. with the battery hooked up... will the starter crank the engine.. http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/remote-starter-switch or 12 Volt Remote Starter Switch

lets see if the starter works directly..

smoke from the starter area is usually the fusible links burning.. or the starter failing..
yeah i might have one lying around. Thanks for the advice, ill be trying them today.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,281 Posts
Your local parts store will have them or you can make them with some lenghts of wire and a momentary button.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
this is as close as i can find

i hope this MIGHT help you out getting to know which wires go where..

replacement Exact fit wiring harness sections are available from several providers.. page 137... http://www.americanautowire.com/catalogs/2015_FF_Catalog.pdf i am not trying to sell you anything.. just letting you know that these components exist.. without having to make your own.. or to rewire the entire truck with a universal harness..

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts