Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bougth the distributor 7 years ago, but since the hot rod building took more time than expected (surprise, I guess..) It hasn't been any test start attempt before now.

-12 volt power in to the distributor is checked. Both with the ignition key "on" and also with the starter engine engaging.
-The spark plug wires are changed once, so I presume those are ok.
-The spark plugs are brand new.
The distributor is a Flame Thrower D1000 (vacuum advance, coil in cap)

Suggestions? I'm a newbee, so don't rule out the stupid and obvious things...

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
Are you using some kind of spark tester to determine if there is spark? If not, get one they are cheap. Use the in-line spark gap type as opposed to neon.
Also open the distributor and see if everything is in place.
Make sure the rotor turns when cranking the starter.
A new distributor could be bad, not likely but it happens.
Possibly call Petronics. :pain:

vicrod

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have wired the distributor with the two wires according to the instructions:
-Wire from battery power.
-Wire for tachometer.

There are 3 more wires going from the cap and down to the module. But these are wired from the factory.

The motor is grounded to both the frame and the body.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have now tested without the tach wire. No difference.

Do you mean the centre carbon pick-up inside the cap? Everyting look to be ok with it.
The spring contact on the rotor shows a small mark after contact with the carbon pick up, like I suppose it should.

As for grounding: 3 wires are connecting the cap with the coil and the rest of the assembly. This is like it was from the factory. I have not done anything to these. One of them are black and it is marked "ground".
Here are some more photos. If you see anything wrong, please let me know!

Cap installed with the tach and batt wire in place:

Rotor:

Inside cap:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
If the hard links from the coil to the terminals are not broken, you have 12v to the terminal but no spark......one of two things.....bad ing module or bad coil...... my bet is on the module as mine has crapped out twice before.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Have now tested without the tach wire. No difference.

Do you mean the centre carbon pick-up inside the cap? Everyting look to be ok with it.
The spring contact on the rotor shows a small mark after contact with the carbon pick up, like I suppose it should.

As for grounding: 3 wires are connecting the cap with the coil and the rest of the assembly. This is like it was from the factory. I have not done anything to these. One of them are black and it is marked "ground".
Here are some more photos. If you see anything wrong, please let me know!
Test the coil. If the coil is OK, move on to the pick up coil. Test it. Photos and text on this HERE.

Then if the coil and pick up coil is OK, I would assume the module to be defective. Many parts stores will check the module for free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.