Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thanks for everyones input after searching all night with my hot rod loving neighbour, we switched fuel pumps and lines,I installed a procomp 2751- 140 gph @ 6psi free flow mechanical fuel pump with some cool looking russel fittings and voila shes back.
! last thing if you wanted to change the hei which is an aftermarket from Skip White at White performance not to knock him ,but does anybody have any kind of feedback on his clear cap 65,000 volt HEI unit, it works ok, but I want better,unless I'm fine with what I have,if not which unit would you rather go with,Accel Blue Print or MSD 8365 pro billet both are all in one units,any input would again be thankfully received and faithfully applied.Thanks Boys.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Well I can't help you with anything else but on the HEI unit's I got one from skip white in my new truck and it runs like a charm and compared to my other HEI unit wich is a proform with only a 65000 volt coil there is really no difference except the price you pay for one. I have heard good stuff about the MSD, Petronix and a few of the others. The Acell ones I have not heard too much about good or bad.
Eric

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I don't recommend the Clear cap HEI. The Clear plastic is not very good. Mine became brittle in no time. When removing plug wires the whole terminals would come loose = new cap. Just get the colored ones. No problems with the distributor tho'.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no poewer no more

Well gone is the clear cap and the whole chinese made hei unit just bought a MSD Street Fire HEI set up,any advice on the timing 355sbc 041 heads fully ported 2:02-1:60 10:75-1 comp 800 edelbrock rpm manifold,XE268 cam 507,510 with the 1.6 rollers 4 speed 3:42 rear ,80 Z28 . @ 36 degrees it pulled hard up to 6000 with the old hei,any advice?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no pwer no more

ON a daily basis 94 sunnocco from the pump and a can of either torco octane boost or Nos octane boost it brings it up to 99 octane.
By all means your not intruding, I welcome all for advice or a good hot rod chat ,that is how and why I think this site exsists,do you think the octane level is ok I've never heard a ping or knock even when I'm running straight 94 from the pump.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can't tell you if its enough or not,but if your having no problems it must be.I was just wondering because i have a similar build ,same compression and heads but am using the r.p.m cam.I'm not real happy with the performance of this motor and am wanting to swap out the cam for something smaller in hopes of gaining more bottom end power.The premium gas here is only 91 octane and i think the smallest cam to run with that would be an xe284 comp.I'm trying to avoid octane booster if i can help it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no power no more

Buddy this cam is the bomb for street cruising from 2000 rpm in the first 2 gears if you hammer it it will go sideways down the road ,although your cam would eat me alive on the top end,my world is going from 0-80 or 90 mph and that little xe 268 wiil do it and put a grin on your face every time in 2 weeks I"M taking her to the track for a couple of rounds of 1320 ft I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I used to use octane booster with my 70 455 I had in my LeMans. After a tear-down, I was shocked to see the amount of redish-orange residue all over the piston head's and valve faces and thought "this can't be good".
From then on I used 93 octane for the street and when I went to the track,
Mixed a 50/50 mix with 110 and 93 that worked good for me. I figured that the mix would put it at about 101 octane (70's premium).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
power hunter

the 274 should work just fine its not the cam but the compression that dictates what fuel you should use up to 9.9/1 91 octane should be fine depending on your timing as well,mine is 14 initial-36 total by3000rpm,good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 10.7-1 static compression ratio and with the 274 cam it will give me a dynamic compression of 8.633 .I feel it might be a bit much for 91 octane and maybe the 280h magnum might be a better fit with only 8.435 dynamic compression.Any thoughts?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RE cam choice

How is the cam being applied if its for the street you will do just fine you will need a stall converter2400-2600rpm, I have a similarr set up 358sbc with 10 :75-1 and run a XE268 it is a ball to drive power everywhere in the rpm range and I do [email protected] in my 1980 Z-28 4speed 3:42 rear,and get 14mpg when I drive {normal} . when in doubt always choose th esmaaler cam of the two,call comp cams and talk to there teq line if you need any guidance I did and they were dead I mean DEAD on with my cam.
Good luck let me know how it turns out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.