Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
84 bowtie beast said:
i have a 700r4 transmission automatic, with all forward gears but no reverse. forward gears are strong not weak but reverse doesnt seem to engage. any suggestions on where to start looking?

Mileage on the trans?

Age of the trans?

Does the trans have engine braking in 1st gear?

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i believe the trans is just a few years old, as far as mileage i havent any clue. yes it has engine braking in first gear. i think i might have glazed my reverse clutch plate. because it leaks from the seal inbetween the tailshaft and transfer case

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
try a bottle of cheap seal conditioner in it i have brough back many of these that were acting bad like this etc and it works.

nothing to lose/gamble except 4 bucks

if the fluid is not bright red then drop the pan and change it out and the filter as well.

if no good still after that then look for another trans

]can find some on craigslist.org free ad sites for cities near you on there that ppl post on there for sale.

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
84 bowtie beast said:
i believe the trans is just a few years old, as far as mileage i havent any clue. yes it has engine braking in first gear. i think i might have glazed my reverse clutch plate. because it leaks from the seal inbetween the tailshaft and transfer case
That would be incorrect , unless the trans case was cracked in that area. The crack would leak off pressure to the low - reverse clutch pack.

If you have engine braking , I would suspect a problem in the reverse input drum. Time to remove , disassemble and inspect for repairs IMHO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.