Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SBC (427 hp) with Sanderson super hugger headers mounted mid-engine in front of a Porsche 5 speed transaxle in an Austin Minivan. I like the Flow Master Hushpower, but at 22" they are too long and only rated for 300 hp. The axles are about 8" behind the back of the motor, or 18" behind the down pipe. Going to the back means going under the the lower A arms leaving very little clearance. Going up and over the transaxle puts a lot a heat in the space and will make working on the motor very difficult. Pics at www.philds.net/mini. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Animal

·
Registered
104 Posts
MagnaFlow makes a nice stainless muffler with in and out on the same end. #14210 Maybe you could stuff them behind the rear wheel wells. It would be something like C5 vettes. Your lack of width may screw you though.

When the '82 Camaro was new in Super/Stock drag racing some of the early headers went forward and dumped at the front tire area. Later the rules changed to allow chassis mods and conventional rearward headers.

Can you go forward and dump in front of the rear tire?

The muffler doesn't care which way its mounted. If all else fails you could stick 14210's upright like a tractor but,with the in/out both on the bottom.
This is gettin' too weird. I gotta go.
Good luck & have fun,Smokey

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just looked around more at your link and found the rest of your pics. I didn't click on the side tittles at first look. Dah...

If someone came to me with that car/truck and said "build me an exhaust system" I'd look at stickin' those magnaFlow 14210's upright (in/out on bottom) along side of the engine.
"U" bend from header into muffler bottom and a 90* out bottom in front of rear tire.
It looks like the little vents in the quarter panels would blow air right at the mufflers just like that you planned it that way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two great responses suggesting the same Magnaflow muffler. I will try the "up" and "forward" methods. They are both better than I came up with on my own. Thanks very much. Animal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts