Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the 79 sbc oem idiot light sending unit with a bigger one for a VDO gauge. Using the original location behind the intake under the hei distributor. The gauge sending unit is quite a bit bigger and the body hits the back of the intake so it won't fit into the hole. If I use adapters to raise it it looks like it will be too high and will hit the distributor. What are my options? Can I use and elbow? Is there a better location to mount it?

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
You can use an elbow. A lot of times an HEI will be a problem. I used a plumber's nightmare back there so I could have the light and a mechanical unit.

Another solution is to tap off the plug down by the oil filter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks MI2600, I'm off to the hardware store. Why does this stuff happen on Sunday when most places are closed?
Hey I've often thought there's an advantage to having both the idiot light and a gauge. The light will catch your attention right away when you might not be watching the gauge.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
murrsue said:
thanks MI2600, I'm off to the hardware store. Why does this stuff happen on Sunday when most places are closed?
Hey I've often thought there's an advantage to having both the idiot light and a gauge. The light will catch your attention right away when you might not be watching the gauge.
You remember the Dodge Omni/Ply. Horizons? They had oil pressure lights and gauges.

Visit Radio Shack and for about $4 you can buy a 90 db. piezio pulsating buzzer (about 1 1/2 inch diameterx 1/2 thick) and just wire it in parallel with your light, stash it under your dash.

Saved me one engine when my son was driving. Heard the buzzer, saw the light, etc.

You could also get a "Vega" oil pressure switch that cuts off the ignition when the oil pressure drops to 6 or 15, they make them both.

After 1,000,000 miles of driving, I prefer a light and a buzzer. Got em on my hot rods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.