Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1966 Buick Skylark GS. Driving , running great , starts cutting out and gets worse and worse. Got home, checked different things, go to start and just cranks no start. Discover I have no spark coming out of coil to distributer cap. With key on have power to + of coil and power to - where distributer wire goes but no spark ot of coil. . New coil same thing. A couple older coils around garage same thing. Is the new coil I bought bad along with the older coils I had laying around along with the coil I started with or something Im missing. Points looked good. Original engine wiring harness has never been cut into or spiced up.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
I would ask if this car has a ballast Resistor or resistance wire in the ignition. Also was any wiring touched anywhere in the engine compartment? If it is all OEM and nothing has been messed with my suspicion would be a bad condenser not damping voltage spikes. the resulting spikes have cratered the face of the points. once a set of points have been burnt they are Junk. I have tried to save many a sets a points by filing and sometimes you can coax some more life and most of the time you just make things worse. Easy test if you have a points dist. slowly turn the engine while watching the points turn the engine slowly untill the points are fully closed. Now measure the volts at the coil - terminal. If 0 volts the points are working if the voltage is the same or nearly the same as the + terminal you have a problem with the points or adjustment thereof. Unless this is a restoration where staying OE is required the best move at this point is to do a points conversion with a pertronics pointless ignition module. It eliminates the points so that problem will ever bother you again. It is an easy kit to install and doesn't doesn't need any special tools. Presto points problem solved.........Of course I was wrong one time before in my life so it's a crap shoot! Good Luck :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Going to garage now after locating a set of points and condenser. I have filed the set on it a couple of times and it was a combo points condenser set. I found points and separate condenser in town. The harness has a resister wire with cloth insulation on it. I'm going to a different engine this winter so hopefully this set will last until then. New engine going pointless.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Going to garage now after locating a set of points and condenser. I have filed the set on it a couple of times and it was a combo points condenser set. I found points and separate condenser in town. The harness has a resister wire with cloth insulation on it. I'm going to a different engine this winter so hopefully this set will last until then. New engine going pointless.
Another thing , wow points sure have gone up in price. I remember when they were less than $10. Not anymore!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.