Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started happening. I have a a4ld that i just had the bell-housing sent out to be milled flat and a new bushing center honed. Put in a new torque converter and everything went together great. Obviously filled the trans with new fluid, filter, gasket. Been driving it for a couple days and it has been working great. BUT THEN :mad: I started the truck and put it in D not OD as I always do for getting around my area and trans would not shift into second. I floored it and let off thinking maybe the Governor would unstuck ,well nothing. So I get to the next red light and I keep it in D and get to a particular speed where I know it would shift without a load and nothing. So I decided to put it in second and it work and stayed in second, figuring that it already shifted I put in back into D and it downshift back to first even without a load. Next i put it in OD and the trans shifts perfect. While I had the trans out I checked the vacuum line for fluid- nothing. I really can't come up with a idea of what happened. The fluid that was in the trans when I took it out was good clean nice smell, It seemed to be serviced before I got my hands on it. Any Thoughts?????

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
oldsmo said:
This just started happening. I have a a4ld that i just had the bell-housing sent out to be milled flat and a new bushing center honed. Put in a new torque converter and everything went together great. Obviously filled the trans with new fluid, filter, gasket. Been driving it for a couple days and it has been working great. BUT THEN :mad: I started the truck and put it in D not OD as I always do for getting around my area and trans would not shift into second. I floored it and let off thinking maybe the Governor would unstuck ,well nothing. So I get to the next red light and I keep it in D and get to a particular speed where I know it would shift without a load and nothing. So I decided to put it in second and it work and stayed in second, figuring that it already shifted I put in back into D and it downshift back to first even without a load. Next i put it in OD and the trans shifts perfect. While I had the trans out I checked the vacuum line for fluid- nothing. I really can't come up with a idea of what happened. The fluid that was in the trans when I took it out was good clean nice smell, It seemed to be serviced before I got my hands on it. Any Thoughts?????

year , make and model?

why was only the bell , converter dealt with?

what is the history of this trans? mileage, over haul at some point?

was the old filter opened up to look for debris?

:confused:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.