Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older brother and dad were working on a 73? Honda CB750, and today he and dad were over putting it back together (really just put carbs, seat, air cleaner back on). I told dad I cleaned and re-oiled the KN filter, and he told me its not supposed to be oiled, and he never oiled it ever. Looking at the bottom, it says KN and a little while later it says OIL TYPE. He didn't say anything, rather changing the subject and wanting me to clean the garage (it's mostly the 750, and wrenches of mine he has scattered around. I do have some out from wrenching on my Jeep though, so I'm not perfect, but it's a fricken garage, not a pebble beach concours winning rolls royce or anything).

Did KN filters come un-oiled way back when? I'm sure the gauze really keeps the dust out of the engine *sarcasm*. I'm sure it keeps larger particles out, but oil holds the smaller particles.

What's your guys' take on this?
-Matt
 

·
WFO
Joined
·
5,030 Posts
Along about 1989 or so I got some K&N breathers, the kind that go on valve covers. They had no oil on them, the oil for them was in a clear plastic "pouch"-type, one-use package (non resealable).

Never used it, I have a bigger bottle of it.

But, yeah. They came dry at one time. Without oiling them, they do not work as they're supposed to.
 

Attachments

·
Instagram: partsretriever
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
302 Z28 said:
LOL, they don't work like they are supposed to WHEN oiled :pain: .

Vince

just like foam air filters (older briggs and dirtbike engines) the oil is what holds the dirt. KN has a gauze type media, which is MUCH looser than traditional paper filters. The oil (stickier than normal engine oil) is what traps the dirt particles. I prefer S&B air filters, as they have a tighter weave, and through this there is less opportunity for contamination by offering more area for the oil to cling, which amounts to a more effective filter media, without being as restrictive as paper.

EDIT: thinking back to my high school days in 03 and 04, working at the local Dodge dealer, word was that out west in desert areas they had issues with KN filters out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,656 Posts
After many Years of using K & N's (mostly on off road engines), I have given up on them, officially this week-why? On my Z71 GMC Pickup, I noticed that my Transmission was shifting weird-last time that happened was on my Yukon, and it was traced (after mucho diagnosing) to be the MAF Sensor-I replaced that and voila!, problem fixed (after it took out the Trans :spank: )-

Anyway, back then you had to replace the Sensor-being that I work at a GM Dealer, I talked to the Service Manager on Monday and told him I suspected the MAF-they can now clean them, and did so on Tuesday-the MAF was full of crud, and, they say they see it on K & N equipped vehicles all the time (comes from the Oil on the K & N, then it traps dust)-it fixed my problem! It restored some lost power, and the Trans now shifts properly-no more K & N's for me-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,928 Posts
K&N filters work fine for their intended purpose...Racing. People who use them on the street have the misconception that if a little oil is good, then more is way better. It actually takes very little oil to service a K&N filter. I submit that if MAF sensors are getting screwed up with oil gunk, your using way too much oil on that filter. I had four K&N filters on a KZ900 Kawasaki a number of years ago. The oiling procedure was to place a few drops at the base of the filter then invert it for an hour or two. You will see how much a few drops of oil can wick all over the filter.

For street use a PROPERLY oiled FOAM air cleaner works well. K&N does not use foam, they use a gauze which is more restrictive than foam.

Vince
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,656 Posts
302 Z28 said:
K&N filters work fine for their intended purpose...Racing. People who use them on the street have the misconception that if a little oil is good, then more is way better. It actually takes very little oil to service a K&N filter. I submit that if MAF sensors are getting screwed up with oil gunk, your using way too much oil on that filter. I had four K&N filters on a KZ900 Kawasaki a number of years ago. The oiling procedure was to place a few drops at the base of the filter then invert it for an hour or two. You will see how much a few drops of oil can wick all over the filter.

For street use a PROPERLY oiled FOAM air cleaner works well. K&N does not use foam, they use a gauze which is more restrictive than foam.

Vince
Vince,

I understand where you are coming from, however my K & N was serviced by our Service Department, and they are very aware of this problem-they used just a very slight mist-it wasn't over-oiled-I would suggest people not put them in Cars with MAF Sensors- :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,928 Posts
My son had an 03 ZO6 Vette with a cold air induction package on it with dual K&N filters. He never had a problem with a gunked up MAF sensor. That Vette saw 6500 rpm many times, so tons of air went past those filters.

I'm not advocating their use, cause I think they are vastly over hyped....just wanted to make that clear :thumbup: .

Vince
 

·
Instagram: partsretriever
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
302 Z28 said:
My son had an 03 ZO6 Vette with a cold air induction package on it with dual K&N filters. He never had a problem with a gunked up MAF sensor. That Vette saw 6500 rpm many times, so tons of air went past those filters.

I'm not advocating their use, cause I think they are vastly over hyped....just wanted to make that clear :thumbup: .

Vince
How many miles did he put on it?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,120 Posts
I used K&N filters on vehicles for decades. Never had problems with them on the street or in the dirt.

When I ran in the sand or dirt years back, if you did not run an oiled filter with secondary outer cover , you had debris in the carb.

I currently use Airaid products, I like them

The key word here is *properly* oiled filter if you use one.

On the street , I have not seen any significant increase in mileage or performance on a stock vehicle that I have owned... in daily driving
 

·
Instagram: partsretriever
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crosley said:
...

The key word here is *properly* oiled filter if you use one.
...
I agree with this, and dusty conditions (made worse by under-serviced KN filters as the oil is saturated with dirt and has no 'sticky surface' left) is what kills the MAF sensors. I used to have a Grand Am (had a MAF) and some of those guys reported issues with the MAF, and others (like me) ran a KN and had no issues.

I think it comes down to keeping the filter maintained (clean, not too much or too little oil), operating conditions (dusty, 'normal', etc), and location of filter (is it close to the ground (road dust and stuff) as in some cold air intakes?)

Being more of a racing oriented filter, I use S&B (more layers for oil to stick to, and less large holes for dust to sneak through) or quality paper elements. Donaldson has a really neat conical filter that almost has a honeycomb structure (is it the powercore? I think Donaldson sold the design to Volant) but I don't think they have any versions available for what I have.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top