Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to order the 350 chevy engine kit from Northern, has anyone used there kits, and should I upgrade on any item that is in the kit? I don't need hp just regular engine, plus u can't beat $189.99. Advise, thanks, Dana

·
Registered
144 Posts
39chevy said:
Getting ready to order the 350 chevy engine kit from Northern, has anyone used there kits, and should I upgrade on any item that is in the kit? I don't need hp just regular engine, plus u can't beat $189.99. Advise, thanks, Dana
All parts in that kit for is for a stock build, if your looking for some more horse power invest in upgrading to some Forged Pistons, Upgrade to more of agrresive Camshaft, upgrade to a True Dual roller timing Chain, Main & rod bearings, and also get the brass Freeze Plugs

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Excellent quality. I've been recommending them to customers for years.

Make sure you know finished bore size and crank journal diameters before ordering. Up grade to heavy duty timing set and if bore is fresh, moly rings.. Rv cam.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Since you're going to have the block bored and honed use the moly rings. Make sure whichever you are going to use, moly or cast, that your machine shop knows. They'll put a little finer finish on the cylinder walls for the moly rings. The moly rings, as a rule, seat in very quickly. They're worth the extra $$$ for your rebuild. If you were freshening an engine with a hone job and new rings but not a fresh bore (some call it a "hone n go") I would recommend the cast rings, they're a little more forgiving of a cylinder wall with some minor imperfections. Most feel that the moly rings will last longer than cast also, but a cast ring rebuild done properly can last many thousands of miles.

Also, a reminder, the pistons included in the kit are "rebuilder" pistons that have a 1.54" compression height, .020" shorter than stock, so they will slightly lower your compression ratio unless you have the block decked to compensate for it, or order pistons with a "stock" 1.56" compression height. If your stock pistons are dished, replacing them with flat top pistons will compensate for that, and actually slightly raise your compression ratio from stock with dished pistons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.