Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:
Anyone know the weight of a 4.6 L Northstar and 4T80E trans? I'm installing one in the rear of my 37 ford and have no way to weigh the unit. Thx Nstar John

·
Registered
307 Posts
403 lbs bare, 464 lbs with accessories.
It will be very fast and it will look good, but it will corner and handle like a turd.
Bob

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,771 Posts
Cornering/handling will depend on what he means by "in the rear". If behind the axle, it will handle a little... differently... and be harder to make handle well. If he means in front of the axle (mid-engined), it should handle much better than a heavy nosed car. "In the rear" could be either -- in the trunk or the back seat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
farna said:
Cornering/handling will depend on what he means by "in the rear". If behind the axle, it will handle a little... differently... and be harder to make handle well. If he means in front of the axle (mid-engined), it should handle much better than a heavy nosed car. "In the rear" could be either -- in the trunk or the back seat.
oh i thought he meant by the way the suspension and how the steering was made for the caddy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Northstar Weight

Hi guys:
464 lbs sounds to light to me. Is that the engine only, or the trans too? I estimated the weight of the engine and trans at 750 lbs when I designed everything. The engine and trans are mounted in the rear in the same configuration as in the stock Eldo. That means that the entire engine and 1/2 the trans are in front of the half shafts, keeping the maximum amount of weight forward. To offset this I located the Radiator, 19.5 Gal fuel tank, and battery up front. I fabricated the chassis, all suspension parts, engine mounts, drive train, and everything else needed when you start with a bare glass body, motor and trans. It's taken 5 years and I'm doing the final assembly now. I'm new to this site and am still trying to figure out how to insert pictures. Thx, Nstar John

·
Registered
307 Posts
464lbs. is the engine only. Sounds like you're going to have a very cool ride. A rear engine car can be very light in the front but it sounds like you are doing it right. Keep us posted. :thumbup:
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts