Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a customer with a 78 cutlass that had to have the original color headliner which is a ugly green and nothing is made now that comes close so some NOS material was found and it was expensive,when it arrived you can tell it has been laying around for a long time and I mentioned that I dont like the looks of it and installed it anyway. This was back in april and he came back with it falling again,the supplier gave us more material from the same batch and this time I glued the snot out of it and will see what will happen. I told the customer if it falls again you will have to go with plan B which is another color that we can get fresh,from what I could tell the material was just too old for the glue to stick and has anyone ever used old headliner material before with success.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
The age or condition of the material shouldn't affect how it stays put on the board. What kind of glue are you using? None, and I mean none, of the aerosols is recommended for gluing a headliner to a headliner board. When the can says "good for gluing headliners" on it, it means gluing at the edges around windows, not for overhead gluing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I dont use the glue in the spray can,I used the contact cement I have used for many years for the headliners and this is the first that came back down. If I can remember correctly is was a very damp day when I done it but I think I also done another with fresh material that same day so who knows,that 30 year old material did not look too good so I dont expect it to last very long.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
A damp day will make the contact adhesive dry more slowly, that may have been the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.