Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im driving a 1988 626 mazda thats great on gas.The only problem is sometimes when i try to start it all it does is make a click and then nothing.. ive replaced starter, and the battery is charged it just wont start.. Other times i can drive it all day long start stop.. turn on turn off and it works just fine.. Any idea what it could be?:confused:

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
Clean the battery cable connections. Remove them, scrape with a knife and replace and tighten the bolts.
If that doesn't work, replace both battery cables.
The solenoid is likely Ok because you hear the clicking sound.
The starter circuit is very simple. Battery, cables, starter.
Even if the cables look good there is still a possibility that one of the connectors is corroded. Very common.

vicrod

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
It may have a problem in the nuetral safety switch, or clutch switch if standard shift. That would be the only other thing I could think of beside what Vicrod said. They are pretty simple ...good thing huh..:thumbup:

Next time it happens, hold the switch in the start position and move the shift lever (automatic) through park to neutral and back, it may crank . That would give a good indication of the problem. If it is a standard, hold switch in start and move the clutch pedal up and down to move the switch. Once again if you get some action from the starter as a result, then your on top of the problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.