Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals

First off let me introduce myself. J. Chris B. Call me Chris. I like to think that I can determine the front and back of a crankshaft, and know a ford 9inch from a AMC 20. I have built and currently own a 41 Willys Coupe. But I have now ran into a problem! I just bought a 76 CJ5 with an AMC 232 I6. The problem is this, I cannot for the life of me find performance upgrades, I really dont want to do the usual swapout. I would like to be able to find good high quality after market parts, more to the point a camshaft. I have found some kits that allow me to upgrade the pistons to an oversize and comp rate, but the cam seems to be the holy grail. I know they made the 258 which is the stroker version of the 232 but I just really want to find the cam, intake, and heads that will fit it. If it doesnt exist well I will just have to put that old 400hp, 383 stroker in it and then change out the transfer case, transmission, front and rear axle...ect...ect... and as you all know that gets really expensive really fast. Please, any help would be nothing less than fantastic. Thanks all.

Chris

·
Administrator
18,428 Posts
welcome Chris...I know your pain. it's hard to be different, and expensive. The Clifford site is a good start.

The 232 and 258 are quite different motors. They have less in common than you would think.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,781 Posts
Okay, this is an old post an might not get read, but poncho62 is mistaken! The 232 and 258 (also 199 and Jeep 87-04 4.0L) are all basically the same block. There are some differences but most parts interchange with a little modification. The late model EFI even bolts to the old heads with minor mods.

The main difference is in years. Early blocks (64-70) are about 1/8" shorter than later ones. The deck height was increased for 71 to make the 258. 64-71 engines use a small bell housing (diameter), 72 and later use a larger one -- the same as 72 and later AMC V-8s. The small bell was used on 1950-71 sixes, including the old flat heads. Pre 75 engines use a shaft rocker setup, but the later stud rocker head bolts right on -- just remember to switch to hollow pushrods for oil! The shaft rocker engines have a passage in the block for oiling, so you can't use a shaft head on a stud block unless you rig and external oil source for the shaft.

Cranks shafts interchange, but there is a longer rod for the 258. Pistons don't always interchange because of differences in pin heights from year to year and size. I'm running an 87 4.0L now with a 74 258 crank and rods, brings it up to 4.6L w/ 0.030" overbore.

Now the 195.6 engine (made through 65) is a totally different animal than the 199/232/258/4.0! The 199 and 195.6 (sometimes called a 196) are often confused because the sizes are so close, but that's all that's similar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts