Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think would look better. Im dropping the rear of my 53 chevy 3 inches. im ordering a kit that gives me a choice of dropping the front 1 2 or 3 inches. im stuck between going 2 in the front and 3 in the rear, for that kind of fast-while-standing-still look, or going three all around. im going to be doing this as a period kustom, if that holds any bearing. but i just wanted to get your guys' opinion as to what you think would look better. Thanks,
-Led

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah im goin to stick with 3 all around, because all my friends know the lowrider (insert horns section) Thanks for the advice
-Led

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Led Sled said:
im going to be doing this as a period kustom, if that holds any bearing.
Which raises an interesting point...exactly what "period" is PERIOD. If you are talking early 50's then I'd say the majority of folks were dropping them lower in the back. Mid-Late 50's I'd say either lower in the back or dropped evenly front and rear. But by the very early 60's the California "rake" became the trend and fronts were dropped lower (and rears were actually jacked up higher - usually by reversing the shackles). Then in the mid 60's the gasser style jacked up front ends came into vogue and the backs went back down and the fronts became air born. Then came the period of "bigs and littles" - with car itself being relatively level but the tire size giving the appearance of the back end being higher than than the front.

So how does one go about being "authentic period" when the periods themselves only lasted a few years, were different in different parts of the country and often overlapped each other as guys were changing their ride height every month or so depending on what pictures happened to be featured in Rod and Custom or Hot Rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.