Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1973 chevy 4x4 4 speed manual tranny 350 engine, the transfer case is shot (its an np208) and i was wondering if a 208 out of an 86 chev with a th400 transmission will bolt up to my standard or if ill need some kind of adapter. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Cody

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
Codyw said:
I have a 1973 chevy 4x4 4 speed manual tranny 350 engine, the transfer case is shot (its an np208) and i was wondering if a 208 out of an 86 chev with a th400 transmission will bolt up to my standard or if ill need some kind of adapter. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Cody
Are you sure you have a 208? Or did someone transplant it in there?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Codyw said:

Thanks
Cody
Maybe. The 400 spline count is 32 splines. If your standard has 32 output splines it should work.

Edit:

1973 Chev with a 350 engine came only with NP205, NP203, or Dana 20 transfer cases.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
In reading and responding to your other post here in the transmission and rearend forum, you state you have a manual transmission, in a 1973 GM truck.

Given those 2 facts, your transfer case should have ONLY been either a Dana 20 or a New Process 205.

Just out of curiousity, what makes you think the transfer case is bad in your truck?

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
You just may have the NP203 and have a broken chain.What kind of shift linkage is on your's? If you have a 203 you should have a 2L setting. shifter all the forward towards dash is 4L,Then 2L N 2H 4H.

If it is a Dana or a 205 you could try and shift the fork by hand to see if it will go in.You may have a broken shift fork.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got underneith the truck and scraped all the muck off the t case and the tage says its a new process gear 208, the shift pattern is 2H N 4H 4L (over to the right and down)

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
M&M CUSTOM said:
Prostreet, you posted the shift pattern for the 205, the 203 is forward to back 4lo-lock, 4lo, N, 4hi, 4hi-lock.

The ID tag for the 208 is on the front of the case between the input adapter housing, and the front output.

The ID tag for the 203 and 205 should also be in the same place.
The pattern I posted was for a 203 with a part time kit installed. Sorry I should've explained a little better. In the 2L,{2nd click back} it's in low range but no power running thru the front output.

The 205 doe's not have 2 different low option's.
The 205 pattern is,Forward to back: 4L N 2H 4H

If It's a 208, it will be a all aluminum case T/C,and the tag{if it's still there} will be on the rear case half. When looking at the fill and drain plugs you should see it.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
It must be if thats what the tag say's. Sounds like the chain may be messed up. Pull the oil drain plug and if the chain is wadded up you will see the pieces in the oil.

If you don't see and pieces of the chain,it may be the shift fork. The tips will get ground off and not shift the slider all the way.

As long as your trans you have now is a 32 spline output your swap should work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.