Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recomend a good quality scan tool for a back yard mechanic. Something under $500.00. Thanks in advance

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I'll third the autoxray. It's more than payed for itself and all i use it on is an old ford.;) Check ebay. thats where i got mine.:thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you own a notebook computer and only need to look at the engine functions, the interface module sold by Alex Pepper at www.obd-2.com is the find. It can chart oxygen sensor real time data amongst other things. This unit can clear codes, read codes, read the various engine sensors in real time and even store the ride parameters for a later look-see. (One should look where they are going, so this is handy) I don't think it looks at power train or ABS stuff but at the price it is a wonderful unit. He offers units specific to GM, Ford or Chrysler or another unit that covers all three. I am delighted with mine. It saved me mucho bucks by getting to the root of emissions problems instead of letting the stealership do the usual step and replace through the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OBD II

Hotmetal800 here, to tell you that I own the AutoXray 6000. I must tell you that interpreting the data is crucial. Most trouble
codes are to lead you to the problem. For example, a pair of codes 181 and 186 for a ford were not for sensors. These codes
indicate (PW higher than expected and rich adaptive limit reached.
The root cause was a TPS. I have scans to prove it and many more for other situations.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'd never heard of the autoxray, but have seen a lot of those Actron scan tools. At $139, I couldn't justify buying it to look at my brother in laws truck. Anybody got any thoughts for or against the Actron units? Btw, thanks for posting the link to the autoxray site. It makes researching these "new" tools so much easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts