Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use those bottles of octane booster? do they work? how much octane do they raise?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Octane Boosters

Check it out
www.off-road.com/dirtbike/rick/gas2/

Also type Octane Booster into your browser you will find a lot of information.

Personally I brew my own. I hesitate giving this recipe, so I preface it with try it at your risk. I have personally had good luck with this recipe since the seventies.

2 quarts Toulene, 3 oz 2 stroke oil, 2 oz Acetone
put the recipe in a five gallon can first and fill it the rest with premium gas.

Bob

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
toulene or Xylene does the same thing, in the right proportions, both chemicals can be found as main ingrediants of laquer thinner.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am not telling anyone to do this BUT on small engines and motorcycles that I was having hard start problem I would use a teaspoon of R/C engine mix to start a motor direct into the spark plug. Don't do this at home it may not do the same for you. what is in this solution that works for me??? Nitro methane pluss??? ED ke6bnl

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Ed ke6bnl said:
I am not telling anyone to do this BUT on small engines and motorcycles that I was having hard start problem I would use a teaspoon of R/C engine mix to start a motor direct into the spark plug. Don't do this at home it may not do the same for you. what is in this solution that works for me??? Nitro methane pluss??? ED ke6bnl
I've always wanted to run one on the 10% mix...
at my local hobby shop the percentage is lubricant content (if I remember right, its been a couple years since I was into running nitro r/c); they have 10, 20, and 30 percent... of course 10% has more nitro, equating to more power. :thumbup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Octane Booster

That is very good information that 69NovaSS found. My recipe was given to me by a dirt track racer in the mid seventies. Although I knew it worked for me I did not know why or it's boundaries. Now I have additional information to experiment beyond my recipe. Thank You

Bob

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
mitmaks said:
Anyone use those bottles of octane booster? do they work? how much octane do they raise?

Genereally, mixed in the proportions on the bottles, the average octane rating increases........ about .8 octane....... point 8 octane..... less than one..

When those bottles say "raises octane 8 points" they mean.......... point eight.

IMO octane boosters are hype that make the manufacturers rich.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts