Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Owner of a broken cart
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im opening up this 86' 305 sbc, and i noticed an odd amount of sludge collected only around this, what im assuming is the EGR port?

Why would sludge collect on the outside of this port in such a way? Just looks odd, and thought i'd ask incase theres
something i should be concerned about. By the looks of the valves, the valve seals must be completely gone or who knows. :rolleyes:

This is lookin like one of those, 'cousin jeb rtv silicone rebuild specials' looks like. Even came with an extra drain plug in the oil pan. :poop: ofcourse coated in rtv...

Auto part
Auto part Metal

thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
That’s the exhaust heat crossover. Runs right thru the bottom of the intake under the plenum. Heat’s needed for quick warm ups.
The sludge is from the higher heat toasting the oil under the intake. Some sludge will seep under the gasket too.
Check the passage thru the intake is open. They can get plugged with carbon deposits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.