Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 1968 Camaro with disks up front and drums in the back. Stock (original) rear end and axles with an aftermarket posi carrier.

Car runs and drives just fine. However, when I make a turn at speed I get a sound coming from whatever side is on the outside of the turn (the side that the car is leaning towards).

Its not tire rub. It sounds more metallic than that.

It sounds kind of like .... ccwwooowwcccwwoowwccwwooww

It definitely sounds like something that is turning and making a rotational or reciprocating sort of sound. And it is roughly at the RPM that the wheels are turning as far as I can tell.

Any clues? My first thought was wheel bearings but they seem to be all fine and not loose. My second thought was maybe something with the rear drum brakes and the lateral forces from turning?

Thanks,
Sal

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If you can get it up in the air SECURELY & your ebrakes are working ,have someone hold a steady speed while you lay underneath and pull one cable at a time ,might help you isolate the noise...If both sides do it , I'd suspect the differential..

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
check the backing plates for contact with the drums---people drop them and bend the lip of the plate up.

check that there is not a step on the drum friction surface to shoe area that only contacts when shifted---i have seen people not turn the drum all the way to the bottom of the friction surface

check the dust Shields up front for contact with the rotor.

·
True Hotrodder
1,354 Posts
What lube are you using in that aftermarket posi?

Reactions: lmsport

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doh! On one side there was a wheel weight brushing the lower shock mount. And on the other I had some slight tire rub on the exhaust pipe. I think I'll cure both of these with some 1/8 inch spacers. I'm doing some spring changes in the rear right now but I'll let you know if that fixes it!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear axles do have a little up/down left/right play. What kind of tolerance is acceptable here?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Doh! On one side there was a wheel weight brushing the lower shock mount. And on the other I had some slight tire rub on the exhaust pipe. I think I'll cure both of these with some 1/8 inch spacers. I'm doing some spring changes in the rear right now but I'll let you know if that fixes it!

Fix the exhaust with a hammer/hanger.
Fix the shock mount with a grinder as it can not be hitting by much.

Only run spacers as a last resort.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fix the exhaust with a hammer/hanger.
Fix the shock mount with a grinder as it can not be hitting by much.

Only run spacers as a last resort.
I hear that! I wasn't even able to find spacers that meet what Bassett wheels say they need to be (steel and 7 inches diameter).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got 15 thousandths of play (up/down left/right... not end play) in the rear axle. Probably time for a set of axle saver bearings?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Pull the axles and see if there is a big ditch where the bearing rides. If not, just put in regular bearings.

I consider the axle saver bearings to be a patch and not a permanent repair, those little seals will start leaking. You can buy a pair of axles with seals and bearing from Summit for less than $250

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I remember the axles were worn when I first put it together... but that was back when I was in the "get it on the road any way how" kind of mentality. Now I'm trying to sort through all the issues here and there and I guess this is one I'll have to deal with.

So should a properly fitting axle essentially have zero up/down left/right play?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
No discernable movement ...if there were no play , it would be solid .. .015 doesn't sound like much ???
Think about it , that means there .0075 radial play ....

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've got 15 thousandths of play (up/down left/right... not end play) in the rear axle. Probably time for a set of axle saver bearings?
No not right. Take it apart and see if just bearings bad or bearings and axle bad. Can’t ignore this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts