Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a borg-warner trans mated to a gm bellhousing, for free, bolts up to my 283, but I can't ID.....it is not a top loader, the main case is one piece, looks a little like a nash, with the tailpiece bolted on. It has the word "basic" stamped on the case, with the numbers 13-38-006-091 stamped below the Borg Warner script by the shifter. Don't have a digital camera, so I can't post pics. Anybody know anything about these? Are they a POS, or will it live for awhile behind the 283? One guy remembers something like these with a split case, but not a one piece. Thanks, Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
It's a BORG-WARNER T50.
It was behind engines in 1976-79 Compact Cars (Monza, Skyhawk, ect), but I am guessing (because I didn't find WHICH engines it was behind) a 4 cylinder or 6 at the most.

It's an aluminum end-loaded case with the bearing retainer being cast as part of the main case. The bellhousing is not part of this transmission and can be swapped out for another for different applications. It has a removeable tube that the throwout bearing rides on. The main bearing in this unit is comprised of caged needles in shell races. Loose needles and flat thrust bearings are used throughout the transmission. Casting number is 13-38. Limited parts availability.

Basically you have a low torque rated transmission that if you DO put it behind a V-8 engine and trash it, you are not goint to be able to find too many parts to repair it. Walk away slowly and don't look back.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
It is an unfortunate situation but a lot of the 5 speeds in the wrecking yards are from the smaller cars and won't hold up very well to a healthy V-8..If you can find a t-5 with the world class innards that would be a better choice..If not then pony up for a tremec or richmond..

Even the manuals from the S-10 are not recommended for v-8 installs but there are guys that use them..

Sam

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
There are lots of pictures available for the BW T-5. Does it look like a T-5?

I think that M&M Custom is correct.

FYI. T-5s are identified by a 3 digit code on a tag under a bolt and often with an inked stamped number 1/2 inch high on the side of the case.

There is a list available on the net that gives ALL the 3 digit BW application codes and will tell you what 091 came in and its strength. It might be available from Tremac since they now own the T-5.

Sorry, I am not at my home computer so I cannot give you the list now. I have posted it on this board several times in the past 15 months or so, but I don't know how to find it.

Generally speaking you want a T-5 code of at least 190 or 200 for it to be strong enough for a smaller V8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.