Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone from hotrodders.com, My name is Chevy mikee and I am building a 48 Chev coupe with highly modified 40 Buick front fenders and I just bought a Hagan french headlight kit.Now I need 7" round halogen headlights to put in the frenched kit and need to do it as cheaply as possible because I spent most of my extra holiday pay on the kit. Does anyone know of an oem vehicle that had or has 7" round halogen headlights,if there is hopefully I can find a pair at the wrecking yard.I want to put the blue/white filament in them to match the driving lights that I picked up .If no OEMS are available I guess that I will have to pay megabucks for custom halogens and filament, just like I did for the kit. Thanks for your input ahead of time Chevy Mikee

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
If you're talking about headlights with replaceable bulbs, I don't know of any American-spec car that would have come with such a critter, since sealed-beams were required by law in the U.S. back when the 7" round lights were common.

If your local Upullit yard has some BMWs, you might find some aftermarket units there. Some of the larger BMWs had 7" round headlights. Also, non-sealed-beams were legal for motorcycles, so that's another possibility.

Still no luck, try J.C. Whitney. Last time I looked, they had some no-name 7" units for H-4 bulbs that cost ~$30 a pop. www.jcwhitney.com

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have frenched my headlights on both of the 47 coupe's I have had. Bought a pair of H-4 headlights from J C Whitney. I plan on adding pictures of the process to my journal. I used all factory parts and the cost was basically nothing.

·
Semper Gumby
395 Posts
7" round headlights

I guess I am lucky - living in Canda, almost every auto parts store carries the 7" round lights in an H4 replaceable bulb configuration. (Canada never passed the idiotic "sealed beams only" law) They run approx 70 -100 bucks (Cdn) for a pair, straight drop in replacement for 7" round sealed beams, and bulbs are available in various color temps and various wattages. I keep finding them for $20.00 bucks a pair at swap meets, and I grab every set I find. I have them on my '57 Chev, my '56 F100, and both of my P1800's, and in my my son's PV544. They work VERY well!

The ones at JC Whitney are a good set as well - and they carry lots of different bulbs.

HINT: Put in relays so all your voltage & amps don't pass through the headlight switch or the "normal" (stock) fuses/circuit breakers. I dropped a set of 4 of the rectangular ones into my wife's '77 Monza Spider (way back then) and they kept kicking off on the hi-way on hi beam until I put in the relays. My buddy's '64 SS Malibu has the same problem but he is (for some reason) reluctant to put in the relays.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a pair of 7" blue dot front headlight from Speedway.com. There are nice. I put a pair of HID lights in and it is like day time when I turn them on. You have to adjust them down to stop them from shining in peoples eyes but once done I would not have done it any other way. Headlight cost about $75.00 a pair and the HID bulbs cost $119.00 a pair.

·
WOW, I could have had a V8!
123 Posts
Hoot Owl said:
I just bought a pair of 7" blue dot front headlight from Speedway.com. There are nice. I put a pair of HID lights in and it is like day time when I turn them on. You have to adjust them down to stop them from shining in peoples eyes but once done I would not have done it any other way. Headlight cost about $75.00 a pair and the HID bulbs cost $119.00 a pair.
Could you post the part numbers, please?

Thanks,

Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.