Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a story of how "the man" is in the process of holding me down.

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I received a Random Verification of Financial Responsibility notice in the mail requiring me to show proof of insurance. Not a big problem because I have full coverage on my pickup, right? WRONG. I also have a 1969 Rambler of which I stopped driving around at the time I had acquired this pickup, which was Aug. 2nd So of course I didn't want to pay for insurance on a vehicle I'm not driving.

Now, of course I get the notice for my rambler, saying I have to send proof that I had insurance as of Sept 8th. I have until Sept 29th to prove that I had insurance or I will get sent a notice of suspension of my driver's license, after which I have 21 more days to clear this all up.

So....I called the number on the letter I received and explained to the lady on the phone that I had not driven the vehicle for 36 days and that it does not have insurance on it. She replied that you MUST have at least liability on registered cars, even if you don't drive them.

Now, I remained calm and reminded the lady that the nice little document I signed when I got my plates that said I will have insurance. Quoted from the first line of it: "In Ohio, it is illegal to drive any motor vehicle without insurance or other financial responsibility (FR) coverage." (Emphasis added) She tells me that I still have to have at least state minimum insurance for any vehicle that is currently registered in the state of Ohio.

I was informed that the only way to counter this is to get a registered mechanic to sign, with a company header, that the car is in-operable as of a date that is 30 days before the notice was issued. (I guess that means that if you get into a crash and remove the vehicle from your insurance and get notice before the 30 days, you're screwed)

I am outraged that I have to put up with this. I have proof that I switched my plan from a 1969 rambler to a 2004 F-150 on AUG 2nd. Now why would I drive an uninsured vehicle when I have a brand new shiny truck with full coverage? This logic evidently falls on deaf ears and I am at a loss of what to do about this.

I am OUTRAGED that I have done nothing wrong and that I have to PROVE MY INNOCENCE. Isn't this unconstitutional? I thought I was supposed to be innocent until proven guilty upon a reason of a doubt? When did that change........

Has anyone else ever had to deal with this? Also, if you have any comments or helpful ideas I'd love to hear them.

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
a)Go talk to your insurance company...More than likely they will give you a statement saying that you had coverage at the time. You pay your insurance a month ahead like everyone else right? When you pay your Sept. bill it is for coverage in Oct.

Or b) call the lady back and ask her how you are supposed to drive an inoperable car to the mechanic?
I have gotten one before, I went to my insurance agent and showed them the letter....the said "Yeah, uh.....you had coverage then"

If neither one work....ask them what you need to do to keep your license from being suspended.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Send a letter to the DMV that the car is being restored and do not renew the plates. My '62 is torn apart. I still carry fire insurance on it at $20.00/yr. BUT if the plates are not renewed then the BMV doesn't even know you have it. It's been this way for 3 years now.

Kevin

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
The man's got you in his sights Dude......RUN!!!

Ask the insurance man about fire and theft only coverage. See if he'll cover you with that. Souldn't be more than $10 or $12 a month for that coverage in the future. He may help so you don't loose your license.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Don't deal with them over the phone. Take the plates off the Rambler and take them with your registration and any other documentation you may have down to your local DMV office and deal face to face with them.

You'll probably have to turn in the plates and registration to solve your problem so don't be surprised if that's what they make you do.

Centerline

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
I didn't think you can take a plate off a vehicle till you sell that vehicle....may be wrong but I don't think you can just pull the plate off if your not driving it. I guess a trip or call to the BMV will tell.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
My truck has been registered for 2 years now....never seen pavement since I have owned it. No insurance....no suspension....All you have to do is tell them that is doesn't have a motor and you can't drive it. Like Kev said, tell them that it is being restored. You can pull the plates off of the car if you want to. Nobody says that you have to renew them after they expire, you just can't transfer them from car to car until the first car is out of your possession.
Later,
WEIMER

3,214 Posts
A few years ago, I went through the same thing in VA. We had a Mustang that my son had been driving until it burned a valve. That one had been registered to my wife and me. We bought him another car and registered it to my son, so we left the old tags on the Mustang, sitting in the yard. We got the letter from DMV to verify insurance. We had to produce a letter that was notorized, from a neighbor that said that the vehicle was not driveable and had been parked the whole time. The plates were about to expire when we got the letter and had actually expired before everything was cleared up.

On the other hand, my neighbor had bought another vehicle and never had it added to his insurance. He did drive it for sometime before parking it. He ended up having to pay an uninsured motorist fee($500 I believe) and now had to have forms sent to DMV every year to prove he has coverage.

In VA you can take the tags off of a vehicle that you have and transfer them to another one, as long as the vehicles are in the same name. You just can't drive the one that the tags are removed from. I have done it numerous times when buying and selling cars.

·
299 Posts
Thanks guys, sorry I didn't respond quicker, I've been running errands all day (girlfriends's B-day and our one year anniversary are in the next couple of weeks).

I guess I'll have to figure out some time to make a trip to the BMV to ask them how I can prove I haven't been driving it. It won't start since it has no battery in it at the moment, and it doesn't have any exhaust on it, so I guess that would make it in-operable, yes? Also, my roommates and neighbor could also testify that I have not operated it on a public road since I bought my truck, it just sits in the driveway with plates on it to keep the cops & neighbors happy.

EDIT: Just looked up that the local BMV happens to be open late on Mondays, so it looks like I'll have to make a run then. I'll take all my stuff and ask them in person for a straight answer. (Like I'll get one).

RANT WARNING
I knew things were going too well in my life again. I got rid of my cop car witch was quickly dying and picked up a brand new pickup, I'm going to be celebrating the 1-year anniversary with my girl in a couple of weeks, and we're going to look at apartments next week. Every time things are looking good I have to have some * thrown on me:mad:
Figures:(
/RANT WARNING

·
Tired old shiftworker
82 Posts
78novaman said
Every time things are looking good I have to have some **** thrown on me
I think that is the only rule in life that applies to almost everybody. I don't care if you are rich, poor, or middle class... setbacks are a part of gods test on our perseverance and faith.

Hey, at least you have a nice new truck so be happy and don't let the man get you down.:D

Good luck.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: New truck you say?

tm454 said:
Did you buy a Ford or Chevy, or maybe a Dodge Ram? What made you decide on that brand?
I got a shiny fire-engine red 2004 F-150 Heritage. Regular cab 8ft bed. 4.2L v6 5sp stick I've got to wash it today, hopefully I'll get pics later today for ya'll. I bought it because 3 of my friends have F-150's (two '01 models and an '03) and love them so I got one of the same body type.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.