Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago we had 18" of snow we were digging out from, then it was in the 50's, then rain, and more rain, and more rain. Then flooding. Now a major ice storm hit just north of us where my parents and Weimer live. Last night the complete town was without power. Trees and lines down everywhere. Now they are supposed to get hit with freezing rain and snow tonight for awhile. Then back to almost 60 by the middle of next week. At least my parents have gas logs in their fireplace to keep warm. Both are in their late 80's but have been getting thru this ordeal quite well. If things go well they should have power back tomorrow. For people that like to cut wood. Bellefontaine is the place to go. I don't think there is oone house that does not have tree damage. I imagine that people in that area will be cleaning up for months. Anyways...thought I'd share.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
That is the same storm that hit Kansas City I think.Had a unit come in from there and we got the ice off the side with my dual function Snap-On screwdriver/ice pick.Then measured it.1.5 inches,this was on the SIDE,not the roof.We dodged that storm in Louisville.Just rain for 5 days and now Indiana and parts of Lou. are beginning to flood.BUT we are supposed to be at 60 on Sunday.Definently a crazy winter.

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
You may have seen my name on the board as being on here but I've been gone for 4 days Kev. The ice storm got us while I was on Hotrodder Bulleretin board wednesday. No power for 4 days. We lost lots of food in the fridge and now that we have power we're gonna eat what's left before it goes bad. I could never be Amish in the winter. Nothing to do when it gets dark so early. BOOOOORINNNNNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then we got another 4 and 3/4 inches of snow. I hear there's another storm brewing out west and that it might be worse than the blizzard of 78. We had a kerosene heater and a firepalce but the temp was still 58 F. Not too bad. We had to go down to the creek that runs through the back of my property to get water in buckets to flush the toilet. Mercer and Auglaize Co. has been declared a disaster area. Looks like someone did a bombing run through here with all the trees and branches down. Uh oh. Lights are dimming as i type. Hope power stays on. Gotta sign off. See you guys/gals later ... I hope!:sweat:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No power for 4 days. We lost lots of food in the fridge and now that we have power we're gonna eat what's left before it goes bad
38...I really hate to say this, but why didn't you box some of the food up thaat you knew was going to go bad and sit it out in the garage where it was cold? Then it would have stayed fresh as cold out as it has been.:confused: They finally got the National Guard in Bellefontaine to help out. The Armory was full. Weimer, my sister and I was at my parents today cleaning up and removing limbs so they would not do any more damage. It is just devastating at the amount of damage that is done. Cars smashed, trees on tops of buildings, trees uprooted. And then you don't realize the amount of work that goes into restoring power until you actually see it. BTW...while we were cutting today it started to drizzle rain and started building up on the limbs again. I went back up to my parents a little while ago and took our gas grille so they could have something to cook on if need be. Most restaurants are open but at their age it makes it hard to get out every little bit and they are both too bullheaded to leave the house and go somewhere a little more convenient so we try top accomodate them as well as we can. Besides that I am only a phone call away if something happens. We drove a little east of Bellefontaine when we were leaving their house and out in the country the power lines are probably 8" + everywhere. They were bringing in dozers on flatbeds so they could repair lines that runs for miles thru wooded area and fields. Like I said earlier, I don't think there is one house or yard in that town that does not have damage of some type. I have seen tornadoes rip thru wooded areas and do less damage than what is there. They said some areas will not get power back for another 3-9 days depending on where they live. Weimer was talking to one guy that works for an outside power company and he told Weimer that the bad thing is that where they have restored power..when the ice starts to melt off of the limbs...that the limbs will all start going back up and blowing out the transformers again so some areas will start losing power again. If anyone likes to cut wood for a living...Logan county is the place to go. You would be cutting for weeks. As far as I know they have called in power companies from 4 states (according to the paper the other day) and I don't know how many different tree services are therre to help out the power companies. One outfit that I seen had about 30 cherry pickers and grinders on the back. And this is in one town of the County. I know that northwest of where I live was also hit hard and I suppose where 38 is at it is almost or just as bad, and that is a completely different county. Again I thought I'd share. More pics to come later and I think Weimer has a slew from around his 'hood. My wife has all the good pics on her camera and I have to get those developed.

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Cool! I'm back. Didn't loose electric. Just a little brown out.
We didn't know we'd be without power for 4 days that's why we didn't put the food in the garage. On my way home from work I had to take three different roads than I went in on. One had lines down and another was flooded. State Rte 65 has some poles snapped and big lines down for miles. Just behind me there is still lots of power poles and lines down. The people behind me still don't have power. The local fire depts. have been providing heat and a place to cook (they have a generator) for those who don't have any source of heat etc. Even my in-laws said they've never been through an ice storm like this and they're in their 70's.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Will you guys stone me if I tell you about the sunburn I got from working on my dozer outside in my shirt sleeves? We have had late March weather since shortly after Christmas and looks like we will be seeing the 70s into next week. Living on the lower Eastern side of the Smoky Mountains has some advantages!!!! Now back when we were having remmants of hurricanes in August, we were without electricity for 5 days, yada, yada, yada....

Trees

·
Running on empty
211 Posts
Kevin, know what your going thru, 3-4 years back we got hit with a real bad ice storm, 1/2 of NY was out of power. Power companies from all over came in to help. Good luck and things can only get better.

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
My wife took the pic below...thought the irony was kinda funny. It is a 'serenity' park just down the street. Anyways, everyone that was out of power yesterday...still out of power now. Right across the street and right behind me...dark. My side of the street...power. Trying to keep the lights to a minimum at night to keep the neighbors from knocking on the doors to "visit":welcome: I guess I could be an arse and go out to the garage and start welding/grinding all night...stereo turned up and the wood burner going strong.:p I'd probably have a fight on my hands then, because the next block up and down from me are also without power. Was outside this evening watching the sky turn 7 different colors from transformers exploding. You don't know what dark is until the entire town goes dead at once. Kinda spooky, still is...fires everywhere, powerless neighborhoods, some with power but no phone/cable, some with power and without power.I have all 3 thankfully. I have been out running the chainsaw for 3 days straight, just cleaning up and making piles of limbs. I should have enough firewood to last me about 75 years.
I'll post more about this tomorrow, getting settled in for the night and watching some TV. Take care and stay warm!
Later,
WEIMER

Attachments

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Man at least you got heat.Good thiong.The Ohio is supposed to crest here on Wednesday from all the rain and snow runoff.It is not looking good.They are predicting it to be worst than 7 years ago,when my basement was filled with water.Of course the previous owners neglected to inform me of that fact before we purchased and my new neighbors told me.Needless we a re away from tha house,but my new house backs up to a creek,good thing mine is on thehill or we may get wet.Floods suck to,they cause a lot of damage to the pocket book.Stay warm man.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm just glad we got the snow and we're far enough north not to get hit bad. There is more damage with the ice than you can imagine, unless you've been through it.

Kevin, Weimer, and 38 you guy are in my thoughts. Hope you and all of yours get through this easy. I can remember when we got hit here with ice, my mother who was as hard headed as her son, and would not "leave the house" either. So I got to worry about her along with all of my stuff. It's not easy but like I say I can understand were your at.

Good luck to you guys.

Pappy

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pappy...thanks for the thoughts. I am getting thru it fine. Where i live all we got was the rain. 9 miles north of me it was ice and 5 miles north of that is where Weimer and my parents are at. Weimers' electricity came on the other day but my parents are still without. I go up and have coffee with my father on the weekends at the local coffee hangout. on my way back I counted 27- Nelson Tree Trimmer trucks, 15- Pike Electric trucks and another 17- Trees Inc trucks all headed to the county. This is addition to the vast amounts already there. I was talking to the assistant supervisor on the city and he told me that there are 16 different utility companies and as far away as Texas and from the surrounding states in the county trying to get them up and running. Then you have the many, many individuals also contributing to the cleanup. Mother Nature is sure pissed this year. With the Tsunami, the floods around here the snow, the ice storms, and now they got blasted out west with a major snow storm dumping quite a few feet of snow. Hopefully Nairb's sister has been in contact with him as she was caught in the storm. Nairb....YOU THERE???

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Ahhhh! YES! The sun is out today and finally melting inches of ice. That may help the electric crews. Now you have to be careful where you walk and drive. Ice is falling off branches and lines. It's a little hard when you get hit by it. Went to the store and ice would fall off trees and hit the windshield. Sounded like it was breaking the glass.

3,214 Posts
I really feel for you guys. It is so cold here that I almost had to put on long sleeves to go outside. We had an ice storm a few years ago. They are really a pain. I really don't understand people loosing their food that is in the fridge in them tho. If there is an ice storm, it is obviously cold enough outside to keep food from spoiling. In Sept 03, when we had the hurricane, it was about 80 deg outside with the power off. Alot of people lost food then. I really felt sorry for people then, specially when I had to go out and refill the tank of the generator. I would loose lights, TV and computer all at the same time.

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Well, my grandparents finally got their power back last night at about 7:15. Still without cable. 6 days without power!!!!
The newspaper says that there is STILL about 3250 people without electric. Now they are calling for even MORE screwy weather. A high of 64 on Wednesday, then on thursday temps dropping from 60 to 30!!!! With more rain.
My friends wife is freaking out and ranting about it being near the end of the world....ever seen the movie "Day After Tomorrow"? LOL!
I have more firewood to haul today so, I am sure that I will hear about 100 different weather predicitions from everyone.
I have hauled about 10 truckloads of wood in the last 2 days, and I will be hauling as much as I can in the next few days.
Its funny that everyone wants to get rid of all their firewood, and buying a generator to stay warm, instead they should be buying a woodburner for the house.:confused: I'll take all I can.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Weimer, I'll trade you guys the temps any day right about now. The weatherman is predicting 30* on Wednesday with freezing "stuff" (read ice, snow, sleet, freezing rain, etc,etc,) and then lows of -17 to -25* before the windchill comes into play. I'm hoping for no snow because I don't want to try to plow snow in that cold of weather. On the bright side though, my truck should have no problem running cool with the plow raised going down the highway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks like some pretty pictures to me Kevin. I love the winter. I wish the snow we had would've stuck around a while longer. With the roads clear, it makes for some picturesque (sp?) crusing

·
Registered
297 Posts
Heh, dont worry kevin, I too live in ohio and enjoy this wonderful weather we are having, especially getting up for work in the morning and scraping a couple inches of ice off the car, thats always fun.

which reminds me, i should probably change my info :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.