Hot Rod Forum banner

Who shakes the oil bottle before pouring?

• Never

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Always

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
By all means, if it makes someone feel better then they should do it. Same with filling an engine oil filter to "keep the pump from being dry."

I'm thinking of a way to shake my entire car for after it sits extended periods of time. I don't want those additive being missed for a second while they get stirred back up!
See you don't get it, if the additive is not there in the first place. Even a fool like me should realize that wont matter. ....DUH

If you are really worried shake your red tractor while you're at it...

Pep
I honestly can't tell if you are pro- or anti-shaking at this point, nor can I tell if you can tell which side of the fence I fell on may posts ago.

What exactly is it that I don't get?

·
Registered
290 Posts
See you don't get it, if the additive is not there in the first place. Even a fool like me should realize that wont matter. ....DUH

If you are really worried shake your red tractor while you're at it...

Pep
I had to reread that a couple times to figure it out. The main points I was trying to make were:
1. Shaking motor oil seems to be pointless.
evidence: We have never done it, whether it be jugs or bulk oil, and do not have any evidence to suggest that a lack of additive has caused problems.
2. Filling the filter seems to be pointless (esp in regard to helping the oil pump).
evidence: We have never done it. Dad may have back in the day on grain trucks at one point (BBC), but the filters were oriented in such a way that you weren't just pouring it back down your arm/on the floor.

Of course, evidence of "we haven't done it that way and have been fine" can be quite a slippery slope away from best practices. With a fleet of 8 tractors, loads of vehicles/trucks all being done this way for decades PLUS a lack of recommendation from manufacturers to give a shake, I say it's silly to worry about.

The red tractor is not self-shaking like a JD 2-cylinder, so of course it becomes more of a concern to get that oil mixed up. DUH!:thumbup:

New point: apple cider...I hate it when my mother-in-law doesn't shake the dang apple cider!

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you had additive fall out on a 55gallon drum of oil which took a couple of years to consume, how would you ever know?

Some oils don’t tend to have this problem. Some oils do. So for some it is a moot point. For others not so much.

In regard to prefilling oil filters.

Would you rather have your engine run with no oil pumping to the top end for 10 seconds or 5 seconds? For 5 seconds or 2?

Before anything gets any oil, the pump has to first fill the filter. Why would you not want to cut that time down if you can by simply filling the filter when practicable?

I shake old oil just in case, and I pre fill my filters because it is so freaking easy, it seems silly not to.

Exception being the tractors whose filters point vertically down. Those are pointless to try and pre fill.

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
994 Posts
I had to reread that a couple times to figure it out. The main points I was trying to make were:
1. Shaking motor oil seems to be pointless.
evidence: We have never done it, whether it be jugs or bulk oil, and do not have any evidence to suggest that a lack of additive has caused problems.
2. Filling the filter seems to be pointless (esp in regard to helping the oil pump).
evidence: We have never done it. Dad may have back in the day on grain trucks at one point (BBC), but the filters were oriented in such a way that you weren't just pouring it back down your arm/on the floor.

Of course, evidence of "we haven't done it that way and have been fine" can be quite a slippery slope away from best practices. With a fleet of 8 tractors, loads of vehicles/trucks all being done this way for decades PLUS a lack of recommendation from manufacturers to give a shake, I say it's silly to worry about.

The red tractor is not self-shaking like a JD 2-cylinder, so of course it becomes more of a concern to get that oil mixed up. DUH!:thumbup:

New point: apple cider...I hate it when my mother-in-law doesn't shake the dang apple cider!
Do not think a filled filter does a thing for the pump. My thought there is more inline with dry bearings, as in cam or mains. We all know a liquid takes the path of least resistance. Small or a tight clearance with an air pocket could remain dry longer at start up.

:D!! funny come back.... still like the red tractor:thumbup:

Pep

21 - 25 of 25 Posts