Hot Rod Forum banner

Who shakes the oil bottle before pouring?

• Never

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Always

Votes: 0 0.0%

Oil Changes

2K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  55 Tony 
#1 ·
Who shakes the oil bottle before pouring?

#6 ·
Never shake it. But I do put on a new filter leaving the drain plug off and pour 1/2 a quart of the fresh stuff into the thing down the fill. It cleans some of the old out of the engine that is sitting in the heads/pan.

I change my oil every 2-5000 depending on how hard I have run it. Typically every 3000 or every 6 months.

Your oil is going to get mixed no need to shake the bottle.

#8 ·
That's a new one on me

I've never even thought of shaking up the oil jug before using it.
I think it's more important to put some oil into the new oil filter so your oil pump doesn't run dry (cavitation prevention). Oh, and make sure you install the filter and pan plug before you poor in that thoroughly mixed oil...:mwink:

#11 ·
I've never even thought of shaking up the oil jug before using it.
I think it's more important to put some oil into the new oil filter so your oil pump doesn't run dry (cavitation prevention). Oh, and make sure you install the filter and pan plug before you poor in that thoroughly mixed oil...:mwink:
Now why on Earth would the pump be any drier after an oil change than it would have after any other normal period of inactivity?

#10 ·
I don't know man, The most oil I have ever bought was like 6 cases. A drum? When I was at the MOPAR dealer way back in the 90s a drum of HDX diesel oil would last a year. Back before everyone thought you need a one ton dually to pull a pop up camper or a John boat. How long did it sit plus new drums would sit in plant 3 for like a year or 2.

#17 ·
Sitting here reading, wondering who over the age of 10 does not know to fill an oil filter.

Never had a thought regarding additive separation and motor oil. The question has merit, shake the 2oz bottles of the fuel additive for 2cycle stuff, and flush with fuel . Shake B&M trick shift to mix the additives

I'll buy 10-20 cases of motor oil, changed in the HotRods when it turns medium too dark brown.

Never have used the speedometer to measure oil life.

Next change I going to have a look, let my eyes be my guide.

I say laugh all you like, the man just might have something here. How serious or how much damage could the affect be .. Who knows ...

Pep

#18 ·
By all means, if it makes someone feel better then they should do it. Same with filling an engine oil filter to "keep the pump from being dry."

I'm thinking of a way to shake my entire car for after it sits extended periods of time. I don't want those additive being missed for a second while they get stirred back up!

#23 ·
If you had additive fall out on a 55gallon drum of oil which took a couple of years to consume, how would you ever know?

Some oils don’t tend to have this problem. Some oils do. So for some it is a moot point. For others not so much.

In regard to prefilling oil filters.

Would you rather have your engine run with no oil pumping to the top end for 10 seconds or 5 seconds? For 5 seconds or 2?

Before anything gets any oil, the pump has to first fill the filter. Why would you not want to cut that time down if you can by simply filling the filter when practicable?

I shake old oil just in case, and I pre fill my filters because it is so freaking easy, it seems silly not to.

Exception being the tractors whose filters point vertically down. Those are pointless to try and pre fill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.