Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Wix remote mount oil filter. (Appears to be for coolant.) It has a 11/16-16 thread on it. Already have a new standard filter with 13/16-16 thread. Is this what I need? Jegs has pretty junky descriptions..

·
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something isn't making sense to me right now. Do you have a link to the what you have now?
PN's or something?
Okay here are all the details. Sometime ago I trashed my transmission. Rebuilt it. Decided to put a filter on the coolant lines plus a finned cooler and 160 degree temperature control valve. Bought a Derale filter mount (https://www.amazon.com/Derale-25753...=derale&qid=1609867884&sprefix=derale&sr=8-53).

It leaked. Tightened the s#/+ out of it. Still leaked. Took it off and discovered that the gasket surface, Though nice and shiny, was the CAST surface. Got out my files. Then 200 grit block sanding.....then 400...then 600..
Etc.

Got new Mobile 1 filter. Put it all back together. Now it leaks just a tiny bit. No matter how tight. Decided "f" this. Ordered this. ....

It came yesterday. The thread/nipple looked smaller. Checked with old filter. Yep. Went back and looked at the Amazon description. but then noticed on the frequently bought together part it showed a filter for coolant.

So I Googled the crap out of filters thread sizes Etc till my eyeballs were rolling around. And this is what I suspect is a deal. Nearly every oil filter domestic cars has a 13/16-16 thread. Very frankly I didn't even know that they made filters for coolant systems apparently maybe Marine applications use them. It seems that coolant filters have an eleven sixteenths-16 thread. The Dxmned description in the Amazon item does not say "for coolant applications".

So I start googling again and ran across those filter adapters/ sleeves.....Of course I could send this damn thing back and get the right filter Mount I just thought I would ask for an easy way out.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Chevy spin on filters are 13/16 - 16, Ford spin on filters are 3/4 - 16. These are the most common sizes used when going to a "remote" filter mounting. In fact, most of the remote filter mounts typically use a 3/4-16 and require a "Ford" filter part number. Since you are using this as a transmission filter then you should be fine - however - there are spin on filters actually made to be used as coolant filters and hydraulic filters. I haven't cut them apart but I imagine there is some difference(s) between them. On my F350, I have an add-on remote filter for my transmission and I normally put a Baldwin hydraulic fluid filter on it. I also have a remote filter for the coolant system (Diesels have their issues!) and that takes a different Baldwin number that is a coolant filter. I can also get either of these filters crossed over to a Wix number.
So - if you want to use the new piece you have, look for filters with that size thread. I would look through a Baldwin catalog for starters, then cross-reference it to your preferred make of filter. Just make sure you are looking at hydraulic filters - you don't have any need for pressure relief or anti-drain back that a normal oil filter would have in it.

·
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is typical. the Wix adapter for the 11/16th and for 3/4 inch is thirty bucks roughly on Amazon. The exact same part with a 13/16 thread is 60 bucks...I bit the bullet...I learned something today.

·
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if this is any help - but it does provide some options:

Thanks for the info, but I have already sent it back and got the correct one. Sure wish you had seen my post a bit earlier. That's exactly what I was looking for...ohhhh well..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.