Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, SBC 350 about a '78, front right side by fuel pump, right below the fuel pump shaft channel I've got two bolt holes and the top one started pumping out oil today as I rev'ed the engine up. Now this is in my '46 Chevy Panel thats not on the road yet I just started it up to move the oil and water around a little and get warmed up, the engine is just hot wired for now, no alt or ac on it either. Is this a hole I can put a bolt in and not worry about or do I have a problem?? I've got good oil pressure, 55psi at idle.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had the same problem on a 400 before I had it rebuilt. I used a small header bolt and used silicone around the head. I think the top hole can be used to hold the fuel pump pushrod when changing fuel pump but I may be wrong. Never tried it as always used hacksaw blade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, you can just plug the hole with a bolt and silicone, BUT you have to be carefull not to use too long of a bolt if you are using a mechanical fuel pump. The upper hole is used to hold the fuel pump pushrod in place while putting in the fuel pump, but a short bolt needs to be used to plug the hole. Mine is only about a 1/2 inch long with a dab of thread sealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.