Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started my completely rebuilt 351W that came out of a '94 F-150. I'm getting an oil leak from the rear of the engine that drips a drop per second for two or about 10 - 15 seconds and then stops. I've retightened the oil pan bolts which didn't help. I cannot see where it coming from but must be the rear seal. Any suggestions here?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two - best to replace the rear seal. But if that's not on your list, change the oil. Get some high-mileage stuff of your preferred brand and weight. Give it a few days of driving before condemning this idea - the stuff in the oil will swell the rubber in the seals.
This is a brand new engine with zero miles. So, I'd be using the high-mileage stuff to break it in. No concerns there?

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Please don't tell me you're going to use break-in oil on a new engine?

But if you are, then use it for whatever time you're going to and then switch it to the high mileage stuff for an oil change period. You don't or shouldn't have to run it continuously - if the leak is that bad, then replacing the seal is what has to be done. As an example I have a 2000 Ford F350 with a 7.3 diesel. The rear seal started leaking about 3 years ago. I ran two oil changes with 2 quarts of high mileage oil mixed with the other 14 quarts. It hasn't leaked since and I haven't used any more of the high mileage oil, it has 16 quarts of Rotella in it right now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please don't tell me you're going to use break-in oil on a new engine?

But if you are, then use it for whatever time you're going to and then switch it to the high mileage stuff for an oil change period. You don't or shouldn't have to run it continuously - if the leak is that bad, then replacing the seal is what has to be done. As an example I have a 2000 Ford F350 with a 7.3 diesel. The rear seal started leaking about 3 years ago. I ran two oil changes with 2 quarts of high mileage oil mixed with the other 14 quarts. It hasn't leaked since and I haven't used any more of the high mileage oil, it has 16 quarts of Rotella in it right now.
Not using break in oil. Just normal stuff that will get changed after about 100 miles.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
I would suggest looking at the back or the intake manifold where it meets the block for signs of oil leakage as it sometimes leaks there and runs down the block and then it looks like the pan or rear seal leaking..:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.