Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400 sbc that has been running great . A couple of days ago I noticed an oil leakfrom the front of the motor.Near the fuel pump, there are 2 vacant bolt holes at the front of the motor that have never been blocked off & all of a sudden, now there is oil leaking out of them. To my knowledge, there is nothing behind there so could someone please shine some light on where the oil is coming from? My mechanic was puzzled when he saw it & said to block them off with bolts. There has never been anything in these holes before & I don't see how putting a couple of bolts in is going to fix the internal problem. Thanks for your patience as I have a VERY limited knowledge on engines.
:p

·
I am the Antirice
270 Posts
It's probably only coming out of one of the holes, and is spreading around the other one from ouside due to the air turbulance in the engine compartment. This isnt really that uncommon of a problem, one of those holes do need a bolt in it, a shallow one. If I remember correctly, it's a 3/8's thread x 1/2 inch bolt.

This hole, on sbc's is the fuel pump pushrod access hole, for holding the pushrod back when installing a fuel pump.

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
The Back side of one of those bolt holes the upper one I think. Is exposed to the fuel pump push rod hole and will most defiantly leak oil if not blocked! Do not put too long of a bolt in the hole or you will hit the push rod! :smash:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yes one of the holes hits the pump rod but i can't remember which one. If you put to long of a bolt in you could stop your pump from working.All you need to do is put a little sealer on bolt and plug hole . Bolt doesn't need to be in that far.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Keep that hole in mind if your using a mech. fuel pump. To change the pump you can push up the fuel pump rod insert a long bolt and it will hold the fuel pump rod up. Then when you get the new fuel pump on put the short bolt back in. You can use grease to hold it up on a cold engine but the bolt works better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.