Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't fun anymore. I just got threw extending my exhaust system from behind the seats to the end of the car at the bumper (Dual exhaust). Now I have a major oil leak at the rear of the engine. I have a rebuilt chevy 350 in a 1955 Chevy Convertible. I used 2.5 flow master exhaust pipes. Now on the engine side I have shorty headers that drop down into a 1.75" (tight around the steering arm real tight had to heat and hit the pipe a few times now probable little smaller than 1.75".) Never had any trouble with oil leaking out until I added the pipes from behind the seat. I think I'm restricting the exhaust little to much and the pressure has to go some where and guess where. OOOOO O well any help will help oil is really dark for not even 20 miles on car. Lot of idling though getting it tuned up. I guess fix leak and go with larger pipes from the engine compartment. Still enjoy working on the car.

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
oil leak ????????

HI,i dont believe that installing exhaust pipes could start an engine leaking oil. did you (maybe) put a hole in the oil filter? or,is a rear oil seal leaking?or,did a oil plug in rear of engine come loose? jack up the car (on jack stands) and start it,and look for where the oil is leaking from... :embarrass

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil Leak

boatbob2 said:
HI,i dont believe that installing exhaust pipes could start an engine leaking oil. did you (maybe) put a hole in the oil filter? or,is a rear oil seal leaking?or,did a oil plug in rear of engine come loose? jack up the car (on jack stands) and start it,and look for where the oil is leaking from... :embarrass
Thanks Bob I'm going to do that right now. Flashlight and glasses. Should take about an hour I'll let you know what I find.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
A exhaust system will not cause oil leaks. Now...oil leaking at the back of your engine can come frome one of several sources. Your distributer could be leaking ( rubber washer between distributer and intake) oil will run down intake and run down the back side and around the bell housing. Oil sending unit could be leaking and doing the same thing. Intake gasket end seal could be leaking at the back of the intake. And then your rear main bearing seal could be leaking. And yes....check that oil filter also ( check it first).

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Considering how long it's been, I think he crawled under there and fell asleep!
Must be one of those old timers. Can't get horizontal for 10 mi. without taking a nap! :mwink:
Hope he had the pink drum banger's in his flashlight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.