Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt a 1977 SBC, new items of note are moderate Comp cam, sealed power lifters, timing set, push rods, and roller tipped rocker and a new Edelbrock intake. Heads and valves were done and springs added to match the cam. Primed the engine with the right tool, got 40 psi at in car gauge. I have cold zero lashed the valves, started engine and ran it to break in the cam, pulled the valve covers to set valves closer and noticed very little oil flowing out of the push rods. What would cause this? There is some oil, but not what I would call enough. I can not see any noticeable oil flowing at idle. Is there a welch plug missing or some kind of blockage? I could see oil flowing in the holes in the valley near the distributor when I primed it without the intake manifold installed. I do not see any leakage any where. I am stumped.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
Gun Laker said:
I recently rebuilt a 1977 SBC, new items of note are moderate Comp cam, sealed power lifters, timing set, push rods, and roller tipped rocker and a new Edelbrock intake. Heads and valves were done and springs added to match the cam. Primed the engine with the right tool, got 40 psi at in car gauge. I have cold zero lashed the valves, started engine and ran it to break in the cam, pulled the valve covers to set valves closer and noticed very little oil flowing out of the push rods. What would cause this? There is some oil, but not what I would call enough. I can not see any noticeable oil flowing at idle. Is there a welch plug missing or some kind of blockage? I could see oil flowing in the holes in the valley near the distributor when I primed it without the intake manifold installed. I do not see any leakage any where. I am stumped.
When you say "very little oil", how much is that? Is there some oil coming from all the pushrods? You really don't need oil shooting from the lifters as long as there is some oil to all the rockers. What kind of oil filter are you using?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S10 Racer said:
When you say "very little oil", how much is that? Is there some oil coming from all the pushrods? You really don't need oil shooting from the lifters as long as there is some oil to all the rockers. What kind of oil filter are you using?
I am using a Wix filter and as far as volume I don't see but maybe a few drops here and there, I mean it certainly isn't creating much mess with the covers off and the engine running. Some of the holes on the top of the rockers look dry. Again, maybe I just worry to much!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Did the plug under the rear main get installed. I can't remember what happens if you forget it? hi volume oil pump running with the valve covers off and you won't want to do it again. Should be making a big mess. Lot's of oil is important to take heat away from valve stems and springs. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Had a 327 with poor oil to lifters and it was rear cam bearing installed incorectly. I don't know if that is possible with newer blocks?

Had lifters without pushrod tube oiling holes delivereed once, (I think Ford fE lifters in a Windsor) and we had NO oiling.

lifters arn't making noise?

Could also be taking a while to push all the Moly Lube through the lifters.

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
My new SBC 2 piece motor took forever to get oil up to the rockerarms. It ran a good 10-15 min before any significant oil came up. I pre oiled everthing so I don't think there was any damage. I have a good 500 mile on the motor now and it runs great. There is oil up there now as I had to install baffles over the breather and PCV holes. I am going to try to adjust the valves today however. Finally quit raining for a couple days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.